Fresh Works Response

I enjoyed walking through the “Fresh Works� student art exhibit. It was interesting to see the artwork that fellow U of M students created. After glancing at all of the artwork in the west hallways, I decided to cross the street to see what was in the east building. At the end of the hallway, I noticed a scaled down version of a barn with a ladder leaning against it. I read the tag information and it said Please Open Door. This interested me because most artwork has a sign that says, “Do not touch� or something. I liked the fact that I could actually get my hands on the artwork. When I opened the barn door, to my surprise, music began to play. Not only that, inside was a chicken spinning in a circle as if it were dancing. The music happened to be to the tune of “This Land is Your Land.� I especially enjoyed this artwork because it was something I could touch, and it was sort of interactive as well. In 2007, Stacey M. Holloway created this piece and titled it Why does the cooped chicken dance?:Music Box. It was constructed of wood, cast bronze, motors, a music box, and steel.