« Image Ready Tips | Main | Add a link »

Photoshop Tips

Please post your photoshop tips here under comments.

Previously, I thought the rubber stamp tool only worked when you have something selected. HOWEVER, much to my delight, you can just click it anywhere without anything being selected. In fact, it creates a much more seamless looking creation when you do not select an area to rubber stamp.

A cool way to get some good overall tweaks is to use 'Blending Options'. Right clicking on any layer should open a menu that allows you to select Blending options for that layer.

Under blending options you can change a bunch of different ways that the layer is blended with the rest of the image. The cool thing is: You can select each individual blending option by clicking on it in the left menu. When you select an individual blending option, you are able to edit the details of that option! -- alex fink

In the photoshop history window there is a camera icon at the bottom. If you click on it, you can take a snapshot of your work. If you are experimenting with filters/colors/whatever, you can save multiple iterations by clicking on the camera, then review them all to figure out which version you like best.

'PASTE INTO' FEATURE

Several people asked me how I pasted my picture into the ace of spades for our first assignment.

First, I opened the picture of myself and chose EDIT > COPY.

Next, I opened an image of the ace of spades. I selected the spade using the magic wand (or any other selection tool that suits you, such as the lasso).
Finally, I clicked EDIT > PASTE INTO.

This command is also useful for pasting neat pictures into words you've written with the text tool.

Another way to move an image (as in the face on the card) is to isolate the image and create a layer for it. You can isolate an image with the extract command. (Filter-extract brings up a window with your image. you outline it, then extract it, which creates it on its own layer)
This gives you an infinite ability to tweak it.

Also, you can drag and drop a layer into the new file icon at the bottom to experiment with different versions. (opacity, scale, etc.)

Rendering Text in Just One Click

If you need to convert your Type layer into an image layer, you can save some time by simply Control-clicking (PC: Right-clicking) directly on the Type layer name that appears in the Layers palette. A contextual menu will appear where you can choose Rasterize Type to instantly render your type.

This tip is excerpted from Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 Killer Tips.

A way that I found out to create perspective in Photoshop is to first highlight the area you want to be changed (e.g. Lasso), then right-clicking to choose the 'Free Transform' option. After this, maneuver the box around to how you see fit. Click the check mark at the top to save the changes.

I'm not sure what kind of tips I could offer, but for those who wanted to know about the gradient tool it shares a place on the left menu of tools with the paint bucket tool. Both are very useful for filling large, empty spaces with whatever colors you'd like. Simply right-click the button to get one or the other. For the gradient, you'll need to choose a beginning and end point.

Too much color in your photos? Ever wondered what it was like to simply work in black and white? Try converting your color images into black and white images by going to Image -> Adjustments -> Desaturate

It can sometimes add a certain style to you work, and it's always worth at least trying before discarding the idea.

I like to play with the color of photos so when I was searching around IMAGE --> AJUSTMENTS, I found that you can do some really cool gradients to an entire picture and make it very dramatic using the GRADIENT MAP selection. You can choose from many different gradients and test them out on your picture. It allows you to choose your own colors and the amount of each color you want showing in the picture. Very cool!

There are two variables that make each image the same size or not.

Each image must be the same dpi like 72..or .300..or..600.

Each image must be the same height and width like 4" x 6"
or 400 pixels by 600 pixels.
It must be consistant in height
and width.

If each image is 72 dpi but the height and width are different the
images are not the same size.

If each image is 4" x 6" but the dpi is 72 dpi on some and 300 dpi
on others the images are not the same size.

So for instance if all of your images are 4" tall x 6" wide and 300 dpi
they are all the same size. The numbers can be replaced by others as
long as each image in your project holds the exact same dpi and height
and width. For example, if all of your images are 72 dpi and 3" wide
and 10" tall they are all the same size.

if you need to mock a texture...as I did in my piece... make the image with the texture in the background and layer the other image on top. Then ajust the fill and transparency of the top image until the texture shines through!!! It looks pretty realistic...

Using the Posterize command can reduce the number of color levels in a layer or image. It gives a really arty effect and is a really simple command.

Choose a layer, then choose Image>Adjustments>Posterize.

Just enter your desired number of Levels (2-255)... I tried levels between 4 and 8.

To get the newspaper look, otherwise known as half tone, try this:

1.Choose Image->Mode->Grayscale
(you may want to add more contrast)
2. Filter->Pixilate->color halftone
(start at around 4 max radius)

quick, simple

If you use the enveloper tool above the zoom button on the tool bar to your left, you can sample a color on an image. Also, if you click on "filter" to the right of "file" at the top of your display you can add all sorts of different effects to the picture. Another useful tool on the tool bar is the lasso. It allows you to outline specific objects you would like to remove, move, or copy from an image. So for example you can use the lasso tool to cut out just the face on a picture and this face can be copied to another picture. You just have to click on the lasso tool and then click on the image to define your outline. The only drawback is that you have to click and hold down on the mouse button the whole time while you outline the object.

Two awesome websites I found while doing my final project were:
Janee's Photoshop Tutorials myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm
She has very clear step by step tutorials that are organized from beginner to intermediate level.

For really unique, artistic, (and copyright free!) images I found the website: www.imageafter.com
I will be using this website for numerous art projects in the future, definitely check it out.