Mike Ballard + Jonathan Ludwig

Farmhand madness by Mike Ballard

Final Despair by Jonathan Ludwig

Artists Jonathan Ludwig and Mike Ballard, once students of ARTS 1601 Intro to Time and Interactivity, taught by Cheryl Wilgren Clyne, visit the class to discuss projects and process surrounding flip book, stopmotion, an 3D animation.

I really enjoyed having Mike and Jonathan come visit and show us their work because it gave me a chance to see creative examples and also showed how if you put in the time your going to come out with quality results

I loved the amount of creativity the two showed in their work. The 3D stop motion by Jon was just mind-blowing. The flipbook techniques that Mike showed also helped me as I will probably use them for my own flipbook. It's interesting how they were in the same class a year ago and are now doing much bigger projects.

Having Mike & John come to visit definitely was helpful. I didn't necessarily like everything they showed us, but it was refreshing to see the different media used, from clay, to paper, to pencil to 3D. (Even though I hated the 3D one. Pixar has spoiled me rotten.) Tips on thinking of camera angles and not just leaving everything stagnant and in one place really got me to thinking about how I should go about looking at my flipbook. I definitely plan on making some changes to my original idea after listening to them, and maybe I will even allow some leeway from a set plan if the idea evolves while I'm drawing it.

When Mike and John came to class this past Tuesday to show some of there work with animation and stop motion it was very inspiring to me. Seeing the creative ideas that they came up with helped me start to explore and think about what I might want to do for my stop motion films. Also what was really helpful for me was when Mike slowly went through his flip book frame by frame. Being we are working on our flip books right now, I have been wondering for awhile about how much I should have my drawings move on each page. Seeing how much he has his move helped me determine how I should draw mine to make them look like they are moving a little better than just jumping around the page. I really enjoyed getting to see their artwork, they did a great job!

I found the guys pretty informative. They are good speakers as well, and their presentations were entertaining and smart. I liked how easy going they seemed to me. Jonathan's using a camera from above to capture images one by one on a table is excellent. Mike is a funny speaker, and I loved how he explained the process of animating the chicken wings as well as the philosophy behind his work. I enjoyed the green monster animation as well as the bottle cap coming out. Very well made!!

I personally think that the visiting artists helped make the flip book process more intuitive because of their advice on camera angles, especially, because it helps create a more dynamic video that only lasts a few seconds. It also helps give a more real feel to the story lines and characters by seeing them in different visual representations.

The visiting artists Mike and John did a great job talking to our class. They provided insight on how they accomplished their complicated projects. They also gave us lots of useful tips about our upcoming projects. They also had a chance to show us some of their current work. I thought their stuff was pretty cool and it was interesting to see how they have progressed as artists. It is very difficult to teach the creative process but they did a good job of explaining how their projects took shape.

I thought it was really cool to see what beginner animators could accomplish in this class. It's good to know that this class could inspire students to pursue a degree in animation, like Jonathan. Jonathan's claymation videos were both really well done. This class has obviously influenced him a lot, as it has taken him as far as China.
Mike's flipbooks were also really inspiring. He could obviously draw and is creative enough to come out with some pretty awesome results. It makes me feel like I could do the same. Both of these guys were a great help and were fun to watch present their work. cool.

It was very reassuring to see Mike and Jonathan's work from this class, since they started out at the same level as we are now, but still created some pretty cool stuff. I also enjoyed seeing the work they went on to create, it was really interesting. The tips they gave us about flip books, stop motion, music and animation in general were helpful too.

Jonathan and Mike's visit was very helpful for me because of the small tips they gave us. Every little hint added up to become extremely useful by the time their presentations were done. Moreover, I liked how Jonathan and Mike were both able to use many different forms to make their animations, from flip books to paper to 3D animations on computers. The ability for both of them to make great animations across so many mediums was astounding and inspirational because it showed me that one could excel in many types of animation after just starting out with flipbooks, like we are doing in class.

It was really interesting and somewhat inspiring to see how they started their work and how it lead them to the point they are in now. Jonathan and Mike gave the class helpful advice and tips regarding how to go about creating animations which led me to think of new ideas for my own flip book animation. It was really enjoyable to learn about how they started and that an artist grows as time goes by, learning new ways of doing things and developing their skills with art.

Mike's and Jonathan's work was very impressive. Their helpful remarks and critiques on their own works help out a lot. They showed us even as a professional you can always do better and learn new skills as you progress into art. They definitely did a great job on their flipbooks and other film creations. I especially enjoyed watching their own personal view expressed through their drawings. It was very funny and entertaining. Obviously they put a lot of hours and dedication to their work and it shows.
Thanks guys! Come back soon!
-Chinna Chea

I found that both Mike and Jon's presentations helped me better understand how the flipbook and knowing how to make one forms a foundation for many of the subsequent projects for this class.

I got from the two of them that the creation of a flipbook or of a stop motion animation is a process that is ever evolving, intuitive, and personal.

I enjoyed seeing the work that they did because I think things seem easier and more possible to accomplish when you see work done by people your own age. I also thought their ideas were interesting as well and the stories they shared.

I was extremely impressed by what Mike and Jon had to share. They were each very friendly and well-spoken. They both obviously had some expertise in animation. Their knowledge of frames, timing, spacing, content, color, and overall aesthetics was very helpful to experience. All of this has been beneficial for my flip-book creation.

Mike's and Jonathan's work was very impressive. Their helpful remarks and
critiques on their own works help out a lot. They showed us even as a
professional you can always do better and learn new skills as you progress
into art. They definitely did a great job on their flipbooks and other film
creations. I especially enjoyed watching their own personal view expressed
through their drawings. It was very funny and entertaining. Obviously they
put a lot of hours and dedication to their work and it shows.
Thanks guys! Come back soon!

Mike and Jon
Mike and Jon are artists who have done flipbooks and were showing theirs and also showing us of how the process of a flipbook is being done. As I noticed they were very dedicated to their artwork and to their flipbook. They also showed us some videos they had also created. Their pieces were very interesting and creative. They had the patience and the time to create something so unique, but it looked like a breeze to them. I thought the characters in their flipbooks were kind of cute and crazy at the same time, oh the irony. The video was done so amazingly, I just hope I can do something as excellent as them.