Chambers / Burnet Art Gallery

25330_355050676944_655736944_4070585_4073375_n.jpg

Students participating in a field research trip to Burnet Art Gallery for "Lightning Struck Itself", an exhibition by multi-media artist Andréa Stanislav. Students also toured the collection throughout Chambers Luxury Art Hotel.

Our field trip to Chambers was very productive and interesting. I was very excited to experience another world-renowned location while staying in Minnesota. It was very nice to hear that Chambers is the number one art hotel in the world and Ralph Burnet is one of the top 200 art collectors in our century. Out of all the contemporary artworks I saw today, the Giants were the most interesting and memorable to me for many reasons.

From what I heard and saw, the Giants' combined weight is around 100 lbs and they appear to be well over 9 feet tall. Because of the extreme height, the artist not only had to be very precise with each hand-carved detail but also had to make every single article of clothing by hand. This was specially impressive because the Giants were dressed in multiple layers that had a worn look to them. They were also both wearing massive leather work boots.

The artist made the Giants specifically for the Chambers gallery. Because he chooses to work alone, it took him over a year and a half to complete them. When they were shipped to the gallery, they came in huge crates that looked like coffins. They have to be shipped like this because only the hands separate from the bodies. One other feature of the Giants that I found interesting is that the artist used actual human hair and horse hair to piece together the Giants' beards, arm hair, etc.

The artist created the Giants in continuation of a series that includes all sorts of strange creatures and beings that one might encounter at an old fashioned circus. I really enjoyed seeing the Giants and hearing about them from the tour guide. Because they looked so remarkable to me, I think I will never ever forget my visit to Chambers.

Andrea Stanislav Lightning Struck Itself
The Chambers luxury Art hotel is such a unique place. It has been here for three and a half years. Also, it is the number one art hotel in the world. There is over two hundred and sixty pieces of artwork in the hotel. Forty-four TV monitors throughout the hotel showing videos of artists. It is a very diverse collection from national, locals, and international people. All these paintings wouldn't have existed in the hotel if it weren't for Ralph Burnet. When I was on the tour every piece was interesting but the one that stuck me the most was Lightning Struck Itself by Andrea Stanislav.
In each painting it represented a story or told you what it was. Images, and others symbolized some by words. With some, one could just imagine what they mean. They all are unique in their own way. The one that had captured me the most was the galaxy looking one. The color and the shapes were just so intriguing. The movement of the artwork made me feel that I was there, and that I was in space, just by the use of glitter, one would think of stars. Also how there was a little girl in the painting. In my opinion the whole collection just flowed together, because of the color, the shapes, the images, the words, and the font of the words. Also, the Glitter.
Why this collection interested me, was due to the glitter, I know it's a silly reason, but this is the first time I see an artist use glitter in their artwork. I also loved the colors she used. They are bold and powerful. You just want to look at them forever. At least I do. This move in the art world is daring to me, because knowing that this artist was accepted for her work in glitter it will maybe expand more on the world, and to me as an artist. I just loved it, and made me feel like I was in a fantasy

In one of the banquet rooms of Minneapolis' Chambers hotel is a piece titled "Pencil I," by South Korean artist Hong Kyong Tack. It is an oil on canvas piece made up of three canvases placed together.

The piece is very large, and consists entirely of various drawn writing utensils: pencils, pens and markers. On the canvases, there are a couple of clusters or bundles of pens, pencils and markers "on top" of those in the background. The bunches of writing utensils in the foreground are larger, and draw the eye in first. The entire background is filled, there are no holes or negative space.

The colors used by this artist are very bold and bright. There are no shadows in the piece, as if the subjects of the picture are being lit from all sides by very bright lights. The striking, bold colors also contribute in drawing eyes to the piece.

All together, "Pencil I" is cluttered, but not totally random. I see it as organization in chaos. The bundles of pens, pencils and markers are the organization/not random, the background is the chaos and random clutter.

The shadowless, bright color theme creates a light, happy, excited mood. It was pleasant to view, but I do not believe there is a deep meaning or symbolism in the piece. Regardless, I enjoyed "Pencil I" for it's color, business and exciting mood. With all the different pens, pencils and markers drawn into the piece, it is interesting to look at

We visited the Chambers Hotel on Tuesday. It was both classy and fascinating. Most of the art was awesome, and I felt very underdressed. Cheryl asked the class to write about a piece that spoke to us. The piece that I chose was called, "Other Thing" by Subodh Gupta. Other Thing was a massive sculptural piece. It intrigued me so much for the most part because it's something beautiful created from something so ordinary, kitchen tongs. It almost looks like an eight-foot tall silver pine cone protruding from the wall. It was able to create a pattern using simple objects that transformed them into something not of this world. The concept of creating something truly beautiful from something so plain is an idea that fascinates me. Given the luminosity of the metal, the artist seems to have created a duo of pieces. The first aspect of the piece being the actual structure of the metal object itself, while the second half of the piece transforms the stark, white walls into something beautiful, by using the light that dances off the piece itself. I also love pieces that pull the viewer in. The viewer is definitely drawn into this piece- mostly because the lines start in all different directions, and converge in the center.¬¬¬ The vast enormity of the piece also plays a role. It could be a metaphor referring back to the peasantry- or rather that the lower class is small, unimportant. The artist used the small, unimportant tongs to create something larger than life. He made it so the tongs surpassed the class that the tools were originally used for. It's always intriguing to see what will happen when something one wouldn't take a second glance at is transformed into something a person can't take his / her eyes off of.

On Tuesday February 23, 2010, we as a class visited the Burnet Art Gallery at Chambers, The Luxury Art Hotel in downtown Minneapolis. It was interesting to learn that the hotel we visited was the No. 1 art hotel in the world despite there being only a couple. The art work is collected by Ralph Burnet. One art piece that caught my eye the most and chose to write about from the art gallery is 'Flare' of 2009 by Machiko Edmondson from Tokyo, Japan. The art piece is oil on canvas. Machiko is described to use the "seduction of fashion photography to lure the viewer into the world of idealized beauty". She draws "the viewer into her works 'shifting their reading between fantasy and the style of painting, the skin of the image and the skin of the painted surface, these works become paintings of unattainable desire.'"

The painting in itself draws so much attention simply because of the perspective on beauty it portrays. 'Flare' emphasizes the face as beauty thus it is cropped only to the face and only the face is shown, showing a pair of fiery eyes, a nose and lips with some strands of hair. The fact that she decided not to show the whole head conveys her opinion on beauty is only evident on the face and hair is not as important as suggested by the limit she places on the amount of hair she shows. The thing that drew me to the painting the most is the fiery eyes. It sets it apart from the rest of the painting because of the color contrast that it provides the art work. Since the eyes are the contrast, it adds much more emphasis to it and portrays the beauty of the eyes.

Despite the amount of focus Machiko places on the face, she also presents a lot of ambiguity through the amount of darkness that surrounds her radiant and pale face. The dark corners around the cheeks and the dark hair gives the sense of secret and unknown which when tied to the theme of beauty indicates that there is more to beauty than meets the eye. There is more to it than simply the face and that only a few understand and know about it. Since she represents the idealized beauty, there are a lot of contradictions and uncertainty about what beauty is. This is shown through the lack of expression on her face as suggested by her straight lips and the fact that her eyebrows are covered which tells a lot about a person's emotions. Since it is covered, it symbolizes the cover up of true emotions.

There are also spots across the face coming from the top right corner which suggests enhances the theme of fashion photography. Through this, Machiko is able to create a realistic feeling in the painting which represents the reality and conveys the realism of beauty.

The artwork that stood out mostly to me was the “(Old) – No one in particular #6”, created by Evan Penny. I didn’t notice the piece of artwork until I sat down and looked up. It startled me for a second when I realize how humanistic it looked like. The distinct feature of minor imperfection this imitation of human form this artist created was unbelievable. If the artwork was made in realistic size I wouldn’t be able to tell if this “old guy” was real or not. From the side few, the artwork looked almost 3-D. I couldn’t tell if there was some sort of illusion that this artist was trying to convey. As soon as you’re facing it head on. It doesn’t look like it was on paper. I wonder what material was used to make this man. How long it took. What inspired this artist to make something so beautiful? Another piece of artwork I admired were the “Elemental”, created by Juxtaposition. A whole group of artist had given a new meaning to take the stairs instead of the elevator. I had a hard time viewing the images on the cement walls as I was going down the step because I was so heavily concentrated on the drawing right before my eyes. The city buildings I like the most because it reminded me of my hometown. I live in the cities and I love it here. I’m use to hearing all of the relentless sounds of the sirens and cars driving back and forth near my house. I can’t stand the silence or being alone for a certain amount of time. I think living in the cities had made me realize I need to be surrounded by something to feel at ease. That image of the city reminds me of my life and where I grew up.

On Tuesday, February 23 was the day we toured Chambers in Downtown Minneapolis. While on the tour we were to find a piece of art that we responded to. The piece that I responded to was Titanium Expose by Machiko Edmondson. What caught my eye about this piece, needless to say, was the eyes. The piece is oil on canvas of a close-up face. The face is almost completely in black and white. The lips as a bit of natural tone and the eyes were vibrant shades of blue and green, which is a nice contrast and makes the focus centered on the eyes. The artist's use of line and color in this piece show's that the saying "everything's not what it seems" is true. What do line and color have to do with this? Well first, the face is in a sense 'perfect' and the idealistic beauty that people see, but when you look closer the woman has spots (possibly freckles) and it appears as though she's crying which does show some imperfection. By the artist using blues and greens in the eyes I, personally, looked at the way Edmondson used the line and colors in order to make the eye look realistic. In addition, the way the head is tilted, what appears to be a tear and the way the eyes look gives the impression that there is more than meets the eye. Based on the fact the painting looks as realistic as a photograph it makes for an even more convincing argument that there is more to this women than we are able to see by the mere image. Eyes tend to be what catches my own eyes in images because I feel that the eyes can say what words and other body language can't always say. They are, in a sense, the window to someone's personality. I also have a recent knack for drawing eyes myself and by seeing the way others create them always intrigues me, as well as, other types of work. So by the artist choosing to use line to define 'idealistic beauty' and selective coloring Edmondson allows for the viewers to interpret the deeper meaning of things other than what meets the eye.

Piece: L. W. S. 2.

Artist: Ashley Bickerton

It was very interesting to see this piece at Chambers and hear Jeff Koons' name in the description of the art. This is because when I was in London over break, we went to the Tate Modern Museum and they were showing a pop art exhibit. Jeff Koons had a lot of work on display in this exhibit. His art was very provocative. In fact, most would probably call it pornographic. Ashley Bickerton came up in the art world through the same means that Jeff Koons did. This piece by Ashley Bickerton does however, seem to be a bit more tastefully done. It is kind of a narrative on the sad idea that Americans are spoiled with so much entertainment, that they really don't need any human interaction. There is a blow-up doll in the bed, pornographic images on the wall, and the man's "supplies" are scattered around the room. The entire space is pretty much shadow and darkness, except for the fragments of light coming in through the blinded windows, giving it a jail cell like quality. There is a foreign man (possibly alluding to the idea of people immigrating to America for this sad kind of freedom) who looks disturbingly satisfied. The American flag on the wall really ties the piece together. The meaning is completely different without the flag. I really like how the artist conveyed her message in kind of a sad but humorous way. The coloring of it gives kind of a joking cartoonish feel to it, but at the same time, she is giving a very deprecating critique on American society and how the entertainment industry has warped our human nature. Overall, I think the piece is very well put together and conveys the message in a very clear way.

When I first glanced at Gupta's piece, I had no idea what it was. All I knew was that it was shiny and it looked like a bush. And that is pretty much what it is. There were probably hundreds and hundreds of these metal strands clustered together. Was it ordinary? No. Was it art? Yes.
There were so many different and unique art pieces at the hotel so much that it was hard to pick my favorite. I chose Gupta's piece as my favorite because of its texture and 3-dimensional presence. If it wasn't for the rope, I would most certainly touch it. Another thought that was running through my mind was if the piece had fell from the wall. I could imagine all those metal pieces on the floor and all the people vigorously trying to pick them up. Most of the other art pieces were just paintings and would not have been as painstakingly difficult to put back together Gupta's piece. Getting back to the 3-D aspect, this piece look like it would hurt if you ran into it. It's dangerous but yet so peaceful on the wall. I believe this particular piece gets a lot of attention because it is so close to the entrance. You pretty much have to walk by it if you want to continue through the hotel.
This piece can relate to me in several ways. It is calm, modern, and unique just like me. It also took its time to assemble itself. There are a lot of pieces that make up the whole picture. On the outside, it looks very sophisticated. But in the inside, it is rather simple. All of these can relate to me and that is why I chose to write about this piece.

Last class we went to the Chambers Art Hotel in downtown Minneapolis. I really enjoyed myself there and I thought that all of the art was very unique and interesting. I really enjoy modern art also so it was fun to see all the different pieces in the hotel. The piece that stood out most to me was Pencil #1. The artist use of color in this piece was incredible and very visually stimulating. Also his use of lines was very interesting because he didn't have a specific pattern, he just kind of sent each pencil in different directions to make it look three dimensional and like it was coming out at you, which I thought was unique. This painting also stood out to me just from the sheer size of it. I think it's really cool when an artist can split up a painting into three different sections and still blend it into one giant image. After looking at this image for several minutes I started to wonder what the artist was trying to portray or what his meaning was. I think by drawing hundreds and hundreds of all his pens and pencils and putting it on such a large scale he was trying to depict how much he loves painting and show that it's his passion. He wants to show that not only do the tools he works with create beautiful images but that the tools themselves can be beautiful as well. In this painting he also incorporates pencils that look like blooming flowers. He does this to further the idea that pencils and pens can be seen as more than just a tool for painting and rather as a thing of beauty. I really enjoyed this piece of work and I really enjoyed going to Chambers Art Hotel to see all of the fantastic artwork.

Colton Chladek
Chambers Art Piece

Andrea Stanislav
"L.W.S.2." Ashley Bickerton, 2001

This piece caught my eye because of it’s subject matter, composition, and color. Even beyond the risqué subject matter my eye was first drawn to the criss-cross light pattern. The artist takes a generally thought of light source in a window and creates a grid of parallel and perpendicular rectangles that take your eye right to the blow up doll, although the light doesn’t extend all the way from the window. There right side of the piece also doesn’t have a known light source making those directional rectangles a little ambiguous even though it’s implied that it’s a similar window. It makes the doll appear as if she is basking in the sunlight even though she is an inanimate object. The man in the foreground makes the piece with his expression and location within the piece. He makes it feel as if this were a routine thing for him, and ordinary 9-5 guy that all about work and leaves no time for sociality that resorts to having a blow up doll as his partner. He also keeps nude pictures on the wall to make the doll feel more human I suppose. I also read this piece as a businessman who’s cheating on his wife and he comes to a shanty motel. The sense of confinement is what gives this work a sense of ambiguity because you cant see more personal things besides sexual subjects and this is why you read it as either his bedroom in his house or a location purely used to satisfy sexual desires. There may be a political message due to the American flag but I’m unsure to what it may refer to. The whole thing is compositionally great with the variety of shapes and forms and movement throughout. Your eye isn’t confused and flows throughout the image and stays engaged with the vibrancy of the hues used.

When we visited Chambers, one piece that caught my eye was Subodh Gupta's "Other Thing." I liked this piece a lot because this piece of art reflected upon Indian society, and I have visited India many times in my life. In "Other Thing," Gupta uses about 3,000 chappati tongs to make a hemisphere. The point of this is to glorify the work of the lower caste because those people are often overlooked by people both within and outside of India. Thus, he used the chappati tongs, an everyday tool that is used to make food, to create what, in my opinion, is a very interesting and great piece of work. While I think that the term "caste" is used in the wrong context presently, I think Gupta's work does glorify the work of th ecommon person in India, which was exactly his intention. As aforementioned, my favorite part of this piece was the fact that I could relate to it due to my previous experiences in India.

Ashley Bickerton, "L.W.S.2"

While at Chambers Art Hotel, our tour guide described the Ashley Bickerton piece as "one of the most controversial pieces in the hotel." After experiencing the full tour, I would have to agree. At first glance, one is bombarded with symbols, metaphors, and political and social commentary. The tour guide mentioned that Chambers is dedicated to contemporary art and is adamant about refraining from censorship. Although it is a hotel, Chambers is by no means a safe and repressive artistic environment. In my mind, its controversy made it one of the most intriguing and powerful pieces in the hotel.

"L.W.S.2" was a painting depicting an American residing in his home full of perverse pleasures. He is smoking a cigarette in his room, surrounded by pornography, junk food, television, and lubricants. Superimposed on the background is an American flag. The sunlight bleeding from either side of his room illuminates the flags colors. On his bed lies a pink blow-up doll. The American appears to be alone and content in his superficial isolation. Instead of wallpaper, he has cutouts of pornographic images. Beneath his bed, lie Kleenex and Vaseline.

Although I believe this social commentary to be exaggerated, I also believe that this exaggeration is important for people to see. The amplification of American consumerism and social isolationism makes its message more real. This exaggeration almost reminds me of old political propaganda cartoons. In its absurdity, a fundamental truth emerges. Media, sexuality, consumerism, and egocentrism saturate American culture. I believe it is important that this piece of art clearly informs people, especially Americans, on social flaws. I am impressed by the piece's honesty and effective voice. The design of what items and each of their placements helps the message come across clearly. In addition, I appreciate the symmetry of the work. This physical balance lets one concentrate on the various items in the room.

On Tuesday, February 23, we went to the Chambers Art Hotel in downtown Minneapolis to explore and see different types of artwork that they have displayed there. One piece that really struck out at me was the painting of a face by Machiko Edmondson. She had two pieces displayed here at the Chambers hotel. My favorite of the two was the one titled Titanium Expose 2007, versus the second one titled Flare 2009. Both are incredible art pieces. What struck me most about both of the paintings of hers was how real life they looked. At first glance I would have thought it was just a photograph taken of a girls face placed on canvas but when you do walk up to the painting and look up closely to it, it is indeed a painting. Even up close to the painting you don't see any odd streaks or marks from a paint brush, the skin of the girls face is so smooth and each line or edge of different parts of her face or soft and just glide your eyes throughout the whole picture. What I loved most about the first piece were the eyes. They amazed me. They were done so beautifully and the colors that were put into them just shined and glowed. She did an amazing job! Also what I liked about the first piece of hers was that it was in black and white but the eyes weren't. The colors of blues and greens really made them stand out. The second piece was also very well done. If I were to choose what I liked best about the second one was that it was more slightly colored and because of the brown eyes and the skin tone but I really liked how her face was more straight forward instead of at an angle and that there was some hair on her forehead that you could see. I really enjoyed my time at the Chambers Art Hotel and getting to enjoy some of the art of these Contemporary artists. The piece done by Machiko Edmondsone was my favorite and I would really like to see more artwork done by here. She's an amazing artist.

Alex Kuettel

Our time at The Chambers Hotel was a very exciting experience. From the lobby to the artwork that fills the hotel, all of it was really impressive. The piece that I chose to write about was called “Titanium Expose” by Machiko Edmondson. It was hard choosing which piece of art to write about but there was something about this picture that drew me in. The painting was done with oil-biased paint on a large canvass. I have always liked the style of realism in painting and this work was incredibly realistic. The woman pictured was very beautiful but had a single tear running down here check. The woman’s green eyes were also a big part of this painting. The large green eyes make this picture impossible to miss because they were so well done and the shade of green is so unique that no one can walk by and not take a look. Yet another dimension of this painting was the light freckles on the woman’s cheek. This gave the woman’s face some character and made it easier to connect with the emotion she is trying to convey with the single tear. I think the space that the painting was in added to it’s attractiveness as well. It was one the first pieces of art that you see when you pass the lobby and it has a whole wall to it’s self. When you walk by for the first time there so much more loud art surrounding this piece that you would think a realist painting would get lost. On the contrary, this picture definitely can stand up for it self. The other picture by Edmondson wasn’t quite as powerful as “Titanium Expose” so they made a good choice putting this piece before the other painting. Like I said before all of the art we got to see was great but I think that this was my personal favorite.