Sculpture in the Quarter Gallery

Quarter Gallery April 22, 2010

An art piece that I really enjoyed when I went to this gallery was the artwork called “There was an old women who lived in a shoe” by Kaitlin Youwer. It is a cast iron shoe that is upside down on a pile of leaves. The toe of the shoe where the bottom attaches to the main toe covering of the shoe is open with a string ladder hanging out of it to the ground of the pile of leaves. Inside the opening there is a tiny wood bed. I really liked this piece because, before I even read the title of the piece, I immediately thought of the story of the little old lady who lived in a shoe. I remember when I was young and used to watch videos or my mom would read me stories on nursery rhymes. One, of course, was There was an Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe. I remember that it was one of my favorite nursery rhyme stories. I always envisioned what it would be like to be so tiny that everything around us was so large that we could fit inside a shoe. I always thought it would be cool for one day experience would it would be like to be so small that I could live inside my doll house toys. So I really enjoyed this piece. It brought back childhood memories and besides that, this artists did a great job making it. The shoe looked just as I would imagine the shoe in the story and the leaves around the bottom gave the great feeling of the outdoors. Also the bed and ladder gave the feeling of a miniature person living inside.

Keith Kaziak
Untitled

Out of all of the sculptures in the quarter gallery I found this one to be most intriguing. I feel as the sculpture can read either as a headless man with gothic architecture like form or either a tree with rustic bark that can be interpreted as a man. This kind of ambiguity is what is essential to a lot of modern sculpture because of the fact that it takes some time to interpret it and appreciate it.

Untitled - Robert K. Tom

In the Quarter Gallery's sculpture exhibit, the piece I chose to comment on was an untitled piece by Robert K. Tom, made out of iron and glass. The iron of the piece is a bed with pyramid shaped nails sticking out of it. The glass was an amorphous blob-vase that had indents where the nails stuck up.

What intrigued me the most about this piece was not the play between smooth and rough, but rather, the way this piece was created. My father has done glass blowing for many years, so I've had a chance to see the inner workings of a studio. It's hotter than the depths of hell, loud and incredibly busy. Although what Robert did was essentially a pretty simple act (as far as glassblowers go) I still find it fascinating.

When a glassblower wants to get a certain texture or shape to their piece, they use a metal mold while the glass is starting to cool. They have the glass attached to a pole and have been blowing and twisting to no end, then they place it in the mold (while still going at it) and repeat. What Robert did was essentially the same thing, but placed his piece on the other piece he molded to make them have a perfectly joining space. It's quite an exciting experience being able to create two pieces of different media that fit together perfectly.

Self-Portrait - Laura "Deetle" Nelson

The piece I chose to write about was the ‘Self-Portrait’ by Laura “Deetle” Nelson 2010. This to me, intrigued and attracted me the most amongst all the other pieces because it showed a lot of meaning behind it. There was a small figure hanging on a level iron plate and this was hanging by strings. A big part of the piece was the imagery and symbolism behind the keys. The sculpture of the man has his hands tied behind a board with two keys. A larger key ties down the plate he is also hanging on. This could represent the fact that we have the keys to be free and it’s just a burden that holds us back when we do not realize it. Like the two keys he has behind him, he doesn’t physically see it but its tied to him to show how we have the power to set ourselves free. So the sculpture as a whole has the themes of imprisonment, being busy tied down, or simply not being able to recognize that we have the keys and we just have to utilize it. So this piece really captured my eyes as these themes were shown in such a creative way, where I would have never thought of representing it in that way.

Praise Be to the Makeout Gods by Cat Pond

This piece is made out of cast bronze, and is one of the most interesting artwork that I saw in the exhibit. I thought it was very funny that someone had created an idea like this. The shape of, I’m guessing human bodies are abstract, and that is what makes the piece alluring. It is a very creative idea the whole “Makeout Gods”. It takes the edge off in art and makes one relaxed. This is one of my favorite pieces that I have seen throughout the semester. The thing that I want to know is how this artist came up with this idea? Why Makeout Gods? Why a cast bronze?

Robert Schmoll - Mass consumption
I chose to write about this sculpture because it seemed funny to me. The sculpture is a fat man chasing after women. Aside from the chuckling, I can see this sculpture having a message. It shows how there are greedy people in this world who just can't get enough. After saying that, I wonder if the man is intending to eat the women? Kinda weird, but humourous.

“Untitled”
By Eamonn McLain

I was drawn to this piece because it immediately gave me a very relaxed feeling. This sculpture was constructed out a very old looking wood that was stained to look dark. The wood really added to the relaxed feeling because it reminded me of an ancient forest. At the top of the structure sat polish rocks that not only looked nice but also reflected the light off the water making it dance on the wood backing. This sculpture may have looked like nice decoration you might find in a backyard but I felt it was more than that. This piece was much more personal than a backyard waterfall kit at Target. The sculpture encompassed the perfect balance of the three main elements that it was comprised of. The wood, water and rocks seemed to be in harmony with one another and if it wasn’t located in art gallery you would believe that this could’ve been created by nature not man.

Alex Kuettel

Since I actually missed this exhibit, I am writing on a portrait that can be found on the 2nd floor of Regis West.

There is no title or artist posted for this piece.
The piece depicts a spanish chick wearing a creepy white mask. This may be representing the Spanish Day of the Dead, which in my opinion is a very creepy holiday to celebrate anyway. But I really like the artist's use of color, particularly the red in both the background and the girl's dress and mask/facepaint. The blue used in streaks in the hair is also real cool because it adds another dimension to the hair, making it not necessarily more real, but more fitting for the piece. It makes it colder and creepier, which is very fitting for Day of the Dead. The artist is great with color and blending, as seen throughout the piece, particularly in the flower in her hair. There is actually a rough draft of just the girl posted down the hall and I still like it, even though it is not as clean as the final one with the background. The background definitely adds a lot to the piece, with the sillouhettes of others partying or whatever they do. Overall, great composition and a very captivating piece.

The piece that stood out most to me was a piece titled "Containment" by Laura Nelson. The piece was a wooden shelf that had about 20 jars filled with a random assortment of items. Some of the jars contained, buttons, pins, coins, paper clips, and a bunch of other little trinkets. This piece stood out to me because it made me think about what the artist was trying to convey. I think Laura was trying to convey the idea that everyone is obsessed with possessions and that we all have a desire to hold on to these possessions despite them being completely irrelevant. The piece also made me think of an old man or woman who spends their time collecting these little unimportant trinkets for their own personal enjoyment. I really enjoyed this piece because it was simple, yet it had a unique message.

Inna Royzenfeld
2:30 sleep
bronze, wood, string, screws
2010

After looking at all of the sculptures in the gallery, this piece stood out the most.
This sculpture consisted of a few nails on a block of wood. Black yarn was cascading down to floor from the nails. The yarn was draped like cobwebs to ground. This simple sculpture reminded me of a miniature future mountain landscape. The shadows from the sculpture were very beautiful. I felt this piece talked about time/eternity and aging. Overall, the minimalist quality of this piece engaged me most.