« Diane Willow | Main | Rosalux and Chambers Galleries »

Surfacing

The repetitive motions of the dolphins as they swam through the waves were unlike what I would have previously imagined such scenario to be like. The video’s quality seemed to be a bit like stop motion, which made the waves appear non-undulating. The ocean seemed more like March slush that we have in Minnesota, the kind that is composed of snow, ice, dirt, and random debris of the bygone winter. At first, it was startling to see the dolphins emerge from such type of water that seemed to me to be so unnatural and mechanic. The leaping spinner dolphins were the only indicators that allowed me to know that the sea indeed was filled with life beneath the slow, jerking surface that I was seeing on the screen. The music supported this sort of a realization as well. There was an overall calming quality to the sounds, but the details that fleetingly floated up and down in scales supported what the dolphins seemed to represent. To me, Surfacing indicates that only the living forces such as the leaping dolphins can give us a sense of connectedness beneath the deceptive visual surface of the ocean; it magnifies the simple idea that the sense of life also exists beneath the surface.