Form + Content

The exhibit meant something more to me after hearing the panel discussion. We need artists to show the beauty in the world so that the viewers of art feel a personal connection with the environment, and who will then, therefore, feel the need to personally protect it. I agree that artists can have this powerful ability. Through the exhibit alone, however, my eyes did not sense the beauty of the Galapagos. For me, the images themselves were not beautiful. The choppiness of the video repulsed me. It hurt my eyes and frustrated me. I know from what I have been told in the past that the flora and fauna of the Galapagos are magnificent. I could have imposed that knowledge on the video images I saw underneath the glass jars on the table. I could have then interpreted the neon glow of the moving images contained within the bell jars as mysterious and precious. I could have then concluded that there are precious things in the world that need to be protected from human destruction. All of these conclusions would come from a very cerebral place. A place of “I think? rather than “I feel.? Should one be required to bring specific historic or scientific knowledge into an art exhibit in order to interpret it? I don’t think so.