Rosalux

It would be difficult to understand the significance of Russian icons, for example, without some historical knowledge of the time and place they were produced, because they are not a part of American culture today. Should contemporary art likewise require some academic study of time and place when the time and place is the present? For many of the artworks currently on display in the Rosalux Gallery, I felt as though I was coming from a time and place alien to wherever they came from. I didn’t feel as though I had the proper tools to connect with them. The sculptures of Tim Roby, for example, baffled me. All I could think of were The Flintstones. What context were these sculptures born out of? One different from the one I live in.

could imagine some of the art works being more intriguing in another context. The Caroline Kent piece of white sheets of paper covered with what looks like doodles out of the notebook of a high schooler, is one example. I attempted to read the words and derive some meaning from them, but after a minute of not finding any connections, I decided to move on. Perhaps had this art been the endpapers of a hard-bound book cover, I would have been more interested in reading and discovering each little part. In a location like the inside of a book cover, where little artistic attention is usually given, it would have stood out as something special, because I would not be expecting to see much beyond plain white paper. The unexpectedness is what would have intrigued me.