Chambers

I like the idea of having the art work exist in a restaurant setting. It allows people to approach art less as an object to be just stared at for a little bit, but more as something that one is always aware of or surrounded by.
Yet, due to the fact that it is more of an upscale place, I feel like it is not that accepting of an atmosphere, although you are free to enter and just view the work as you please. It feels more intimidating than just visiting a public museum.
I liked Morimura's piece called "Blinded by the Light", which was a photograph. It reminded me of Mannerist paintings with the exaggerated movements. The photograph satirizes the Japanese consumerist culture and the artist ties it to Bruegel's "Blinded by the Light". I think the reason why I liked this piece was because it juxtaposed what I feel like was a Mannerist style with a criticism of modern Japanese culture.
The exhibition as a whole did not directly deal just with personal self-identity, but with the idea that "self" cannot be explained without the greater society at large. Like Morimura's piece, "Other Thing" by Gupta " is a personal commentary on his society regarding the dichotomy of the advantaged and the disadvantaged in India by turning the common chapati tongs (kitchen utensil) into an object of art. He described that his pieces demonstrates "riot of steel. An intense silence as well as intense shriek"
This exhibition made me feel like the environment that I live in and the society that I grew up in becomes more personal to the level of even prescribing a set of identities that you attach yourself to.