« Weiji Project Proposal | Main | Joanna Harmon Artist's Statement »

Artist Statement

My role in music, whether I am performing or teaching music, is to share music with others. When performing, I must give the notes on the page life in order to tell a story. Music is unique in that it can be used to connect with people in a way that no other medium can and often it has a profound
effect on their lives. This opportunity to “speak” to the audience through music is what drives my performances. In addition to sharing emotions, moods and ideas in music, as a performer and composer I also find myself sharing colors audibly with my audience.

As a composer, performer and music connoisseur, I sense very strong connection between music and color. The sounds of different pitches and styles of music evoke a certain color in my mind. The rhythms, articulations, tempi, register and timbre of the music influence the color that appears in my mind and together these musical elements create a mood for the piece of music, which then translates into a colorful vision in my mind. This color is a visual depiction of the mood of the piece and significantly influences how I perceive and perform the music. As a composer, this color often exists in my mind before I have actually written the music. I write to realize musically this visual depiction of mood in my mind. This phenomenon has inspired me to pursue artistic collaborations with artists specializing in a variety of mediums. Most recently I have worked artists to pair music with dance, photography and visual art and I am now engaged in a project juxtaposing a live performance of a clarinet composition I have written with an animation created by artists at the Beijing Academy.