Artist Statement

“Nothing puzzles me more than time and space; and yet nothing troubles me less.” -Charles Lamb

In the D=rt series, I measure the amount of time I am drawing on a piece, then multiply it by what I approximate the rate of my drawing to be, measured by how much I have drawn in a minute. This allows me to get an approximate distance for each piece and creates a new system for measuring time. Time thus becomes a distance traveled instead of just an abstract, relative concept. The wave pattern produced is an illustration of light, how light is both a particle and a wave. I use light in many different ways in the illustration of my work, whether it is using black marks on a white canvas to play with light in a visual sense, tricking the brain into seeing colors where there are none, or using similar colors to my canvas with my marks, so that the marks are only visible in with certain lighting. The process of making these repetitive marks becomes a meditative act and then links the spiritual with the physical.

Here is a link to my Facebook Fan Page that displays most of my work http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/David-Brian-Dobbs/40234759281?ref=ts