MFA OPEN STUDIOS Friday Nov. 16 2007 6-9

fairopensm.jpg

Regis Center for Art East and West Buildings
405 21st Ave South, Minneapolis, MN 55455
contact: clyne003@umn.edu
http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/maps/RegCtrE/

Tim Roby

timroby.jpg

Tim Roby
robyx008@umn.edu
MFA year 3
Drawing and Painting

I am interested in the undistinguished visual experiences that we
habitually take for granted and ignore daily. I treat these visual
experiences as transformed icons in my paintings. These images walk
the line between being comfortable and familiar, and being uneasy and
irrational causing the viewer to have a "moment of discovery" similar
to what I have when I come across the original object or scene in our
daily landscape.

Sonja Peterson

smadaywithoutwarningsoromensadaywithout warnings or omens.jpg

paper in front of acrylic
"a day without warnings or omens" 8' x 6', 2007

Sonja Peterson
Sonja@umn.edu
MFA Second year painting and drawing.

I create while trying to make sense of issues that are larger than life to me.
I would like my work to operate of dual levels- as a design of beauty that can also draw one into its complexities. The act of cutting out the negative gives a satisfaction of simplifying complexities that are out of ones reach. It is in a sense mapping a jumbled mind full of concerns for the entanglement of positive and negative, good and evil - the balance of power and energy.

paper in front of acrylic

Sarah Christianson

aerialspiralssm.jpg

Sarah Christianson
MFA 2nd Year, Photography
chri1742@umn.edu

My current project focuses on my family’s farm in eastern North Dakota. Through its 120 years, the farm has passed smoothly from one generation of Christianson men to the next. Now, this tradition is in danger of being broken, as no member of my generation has even expressed an interest in farming. Using old photographs, letters, journals, farm logs, and maps, I am combining them with my contemporary images to trace this heritage and history and the implications of its demise.

Mason Eubanks

medsharpiesidesmldpism.jpg

My methodology straddles meticulousness and ridiculousness and my forms, while optimistic, exist in concert with constructions that although carefully considered, can seem clumsy, gawky and vulnerable.

Mason Eubanks
2nd year MFA drawing and painting
euban012@umn.edu

Lauren Herzak-Bauman

iamsosorryopenhouseimagesm.jpg

Lauren Herzak-Bauman
MFA 2nd Year Ceramics
herza008@umn.edu

Clay invokes in me a powerful sense of permanence, staying power, and strength. Underlying every artistic endeavor, I find a need to make permanent that which is fleeting. The realization of how quickly certain people and significant moments have escaped me is the driving force behind my current body of work.

Josh Winkler

powerplantspollinateeachbulbsm.jpg

"Powerplants Pollinate each Bulb."

Josh Winkler
wink0167@umn.edu
MFA first year printmaking

We live in a silly world. Humankind is un-animal. Electricity and airplanes and WI FI have become basic needs. When we walk, we leave tire tracks. The roads flow, the semis roll, and the potholes grow. Still, we manage. I make drawings of it all happening.

jason gaspar

10012731sm.jpg

Self-reflective, i want my work to function as short answers into my curiosities.

jason gaspar
gaspar0011@hotmail.com
MFA 1st year drawing and painting

Jon Mahnke

mahnke_jon_3.jpg

Jon Mahnke
MFA Year 3 Printmaking
mahnk009@umn.edu

My most recent work uses the modular form of hair or fur to form larger structures, which are in turn overlaid onto photographs of my skin. The work emerges from a rhythmic drawing process that responds to and works against the photographic information in the background.

Laura Corcoran

Laura Corcoran
MFA Year 2 Printmaking
corco046@umn.edu

Anna Metcalfe

whiteboata.jpg

Anna Metcalfe
metc0054@umn.edu
Year Two MFA Ceramics

I find boats extremely compelling as formal objects, and they inspire the objects that I make as well as represent ideas such as travel, transformation, renewal and transcendence - all ideas that bring meaning to the act of art-making and inspire my work conceptually. The idea of transformation in particular has become a term that both materially (clay becomes rock) and ideologically (in nature, society or as individuals) is a thread that runs through my art practice.

Toby Sisson

nestsm.jpg

"Nest" mixed media on paper, 30x22.

My current body of work is introspective, an intuitive response to the presence of artificial boundaries in my life — race, gender, age, and class. These drawings explore the abstract nature of these forces as they push and pull one another across an emotional landscape. The subsuming relationship of dark and light spaces represents both an interior and exterior struggle and its impact on the psyche.

Toby Sisson
MFA 2nd year painting and drawing
siss0009@umn.edu

TJ Barnes

riversm.jpg

text 1. It's finger liken good
text 2. have it your way
text 3. good to the last drop

TJ Barnes
MFA year 1 Time and Interactivity
barne306@umn.edu

cheryl wilgren clyne

landlostforblog.jpg

cheryl wilgren clyne
clyne003@umn.edu
MFA year 3

As an artist and filmmaker, the complexity of childhood pulls me in for another look. For several years I have investigated the idea of self as it is constructed through language and communication in early childhood. This study continues. In my newest work, I have discovered the distortion that occurs with childhood revisited. Bearing in mind the power of costumes, rituals, and environments, narratives develop around the relationship these have to my subjects. My own experiences are measured throughout these assessments.

Some of my digital video projects also include a wide range of environmental examinations. These focus on the influence of the day-to-day and profound effects of what we take in mostly unaware.

artist statement and resume
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/clyne003/resume//
thesis exhibition
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/clyne003/mfathesis//

Stacey M. Holloway

SHollowayimagesm.jpg

Stacey M. Holloway
MFA year 2 sculpture
holl0405@umn.edu

I have been studying how human emotions are portrayed in personal and societal relationships. In my artwork, I often use my own experiences as a child to express psychological subject matter and the effect that juvenescent adventure has on an individual as they mature. I construct unconventional self-portraits, family portraits, and communal portraits to stimulate my viewer to recall a memory of their own. In effect, I use articles from the past to make an impression on the present. Humor is a part of my delivery method and I intentionally make the work playful in order to encourage audience engagement.