Artist Statement

EACH CREATIVE ACT HAS THREE STAGES, THE FORMATIVE, THE ACTIVE, AND THE RECORD. I AM INTERESTED IN THE ACTIVE MOMENT BECAUSE IT CONTAINS THE EXPERIENCE OF THE CREATIVE ACT ITSELF. WHEREAS THE FORMATIVE STAGE IS LARGELY MENTAL, AND THE RECORD IS CONSIDERED THROUGH OUR BODY’S PERCEPTIONS, THE ACTIVE MOMENT IS FELT WITHOUT MEDIATION. IN EACH MOMENT WE ARE IN RELATION TO AN INCONCEIVABLE AMOUNT OF INFORMATION AND EXPERIENCE. WHEN OUR ENVIRONMENTS BECOMES QUIET OR SLOW, A RECEPTIVE FORM OF MAGIC OCCURS AND EXPERIENCES THAT ARE OFTEN OVERSHADOWED BECOME CLEAR. BY REMOVING THE OBJECTS FROM MY ART, I FOCUS ON THE RELATIONAL EXPERIENCE ITSELF. IT IS IN THE RELATIONAL EXPERIENCE THAT “I AM? CAN BECOME “WE ARE,? AND A FINITE FORM CAN CONTAIN INFINITY. I AM FOR AN ARTLIKE LIFE IN WHICH BEING IS THE RECORD OF THE CREATIVE ACT AND THE OBJECT OF CONTEMPLATION. I WORK UNDER THE NOTION THAT I MUST BECOME A BETTER PERSON TO MAKE BETTER ART AND BY MAKING BETTER ART I CAN BECOME A BETTER PERSON.

Travis Freeman

I am interesting in the experiences of life becoming objects of art; objects of contemplation. By removing the physical objects from an experience, I bring focus to the subtle experiences that exist always but are rarely noticed. To be a better artist I must be a better person, and through making better art I can become a better person.

"image":

'Be here now: all things touch all things." Stand or sit facing another person. Ask that person to hold out one hand, palm facing up. Place your hand between one and four inches above the other person's hand. Leave your hand there until one of you decides to move.

Travis Freeman
freem278@umn.edu
MFA year 2 drawing and painting.