« City Council Meeting in NYC- Focus Topic | Main | Denouncing Watersports for the CIA »

Zoo Boo at NEW Zoo brings traffic to a halt

What a title. I found this in the Green Bay Gazette. I thought it would be interesting to see how the news standards of small town papers differed from big cities like Minneapolis. It seems like every time I go to a small town and read their paper I think, why is this important? THe Star Tribune for instance has mostly crime and analysis articles about local issues. The GB article is about an event at the zoo for trick or treating. It also mentions that traffic was stalled to demonstrate how busy it was. Maybe that doesn't seem like a big deal here, where traffic is regularly stalled, but in GB that demonstrates that it was excessively busy. Maybe that plays into the news values. Essentially though, this is a post-event, event listing. There's nothing too interesting or especially informative, it mostly lists time and place while neglecting the actual event. Maybe the reporter didn't even go to the event,maybe s/he got stuck in traffic, in any case this probably wouldn't fly in a bigger city.