missing blog- Why I Took 1701

Continue reading "missing blog- Why I Took 1701" »

comments on presentations

I thought that the presentations were great, it was fun to see the same goals aproached in such different ways from group to group. It was also interesting to see all the different designs that the groups created. Many of the things that we were researching related to other classes I was taking so it was enlightening to see all the connections from subject to subject.

Continue reading "comments on presentations" »

4/7

Continue reading "4/7" »

3/31

No volunteering- classes out for spring break

3/24

Continue reading "3/24" »

3/2

Continue reading "3/2" »

3 designs for a title page...

Continue reading "3 designs for a title page..." »

Design Inspiration

Here are several things I found interesting...
core77.png
the color change w/ text under

Continue reading "Design Inspiration" »

blog issues

I happened to delete the last blog entry because I got to the point where its very presence irritated me. It was a misserable failure as far as a blog goes and will have to be redone.

Random Thoughts

Repetition, repetition, repetition…….leads to creativity?! Stranger things have happened. Anyway after several weeks of seeing the best of the blogs, I can’t help but feel that Blah…g was severely lacking in the creative aspect. I know that writing isn’t exactly one of my strong suit so I’ll concentrate more on something I enjoy. Yes- 1701 finally won me over, and even though I thoroughly dislike this thing and never intend to learn html programming- there’s more than one way to get this done. So after my small ramble- here we go with a new name and hopefully, at the least, a more interesting blog. -J

Monday 2/25/08

Today did not go so well. It started out okay, I was happy that a lot of the students we worked with last time decided to come back. One of the students in particular had taken the material we had worked on last time home with her and completed the rest of the problems, which was great to see so much initiative on her part. Several times now there have been fights while we were volunteering but the one from today was very upsetting to me.
The student I had mentioned and a staff member got into a fight while I was at the school. Both of them had to be restrained from hurting each other and they yelled numerous threats while trying to get around the staff restraining them. At first I really didn’t think a whole lot about it because I had assumed that they were both students and I had witnessed this before, but when I learned that it was a staff at the school who was involved it really upset me. From what I overheard the staff had made a comment that the student felt was derogatory to her about not being expected to graduate. She then yelled at the staff about disrespecting her and treating her like a child which escalated. I could understand how the student might feel if a teacher said something like that, even thought the teacher probably did not mean it in this sense. What was upsetting was to see the teacher trying to physically get into it with the student, as I said both were restrained. I know many things were said but that is something that would have never happened at my school. There are better ways to deal with a student than trying to fight them. When we left the girl’s mother was there and they were going to meet with the head of the school. I just feel bad for the student because I would feel the same way if I was disrespected and if handled differently it would never have had to escalate to the point it did. Hopefully the student will be there when I go next week, if not I will be thoroughly disappointed that someone with so much promise was cast aside.

2/11/08- Monday

This was the first day that I got to work with the kids. The schedule is all set now so I will be going every Monday and it sound like they have other volunteers set to cover the rest of the week. I really had fun today. It was great to work with the students and they seemed to like having us there. They said that the students had actually requested to have tutors and that makes it so much more enjoyable because they get to choose whether they want to come work with us. Everyone I worked with seemed ready to concentrate on the material, which was one concern I had. I wasn’t sure if the teachers would be the ones to single out kids and send them for tutoring which may have given us people who did not want help.
My only concern is that I am not sure what to study; I had thought that they would be bringing homework with them, but they had anticipated that we would provide the materials. There were some books in the room so I asked what they would like to look at and we went though some basic math that will be on the skills testing. Once we got going it all went pretty smoothly.

2/8/08-Intro

Today was my first day at Minnesota Internship Center Charter Schools, which was basically a day for filling out paper work and meeting the people coordinating the program. It seems a little disorganized since I gather this is the first time they have instituted tutors so we are not sure of the times that they need us or how the kids will get referred to us for tutoring. I am pretty optimistic about it though, I’m sure everything will be worked out soon. I would have to admit that it was kind of different; I guess I had imagined that it was going to be like any other high school but it seems as if the kids just kind of wander from place to place and no one seems to be directing them to where they have to be. I guess they are expected to take that responsibility on themselves, which is very different from how my high school was organized.
The orientation packet that they had organized for us was very interesting. There was a quiz that we completed that measured what kind of life skills everyone had, which was very insightful. It was divided into 3 categories- could you survive in poverty, middle class, and wealth and had basic skills you would to thrive in that particular environment. It just proved how much you learn from your environment and how difficult it be to learn all the things necessary to thrive if you were removed from what you are accustomed to. They also went over some of the driving decision making forces that are attributed to different levels of wealth and the assets that help an individual succeed. So much that is not apparent goes into what a person easily achieves. This was one of the best orientations that I have been to. They actually provided a lot of information that I had not previously know about instead of the basic rules of conduct that you usually encounter.

Prompt #4

books.jpg

What an interesting concept, what would I do if released from the constraints of architecture school? I guess this is something that never really occurred to me. The world is so busy that it seems either you are doing what needs to be done or that you can set goals and travel down the path of objectives to reach them, sometimes finding space where you can squeeze out some enjoyment. From what I’ve learned about myself over the years I know I would not be content to just be idle. Even the brief periods of my life when I did not attend school made me realize how much I crave to learn new things. Once I feel that I have an understanding of something I start searching for new ideas concepts, constantly feeling the need to learn more. What it is does not really matter, from learning to cook something new, to figuring out if seeds from an apple will really grow into a tree that produces more fruit. It seems that the world has a limitless ability to offer forth new ideas and information just in everyday life if you pay attention to the details. I have always had a difficult time with college majors because of this, there are just so many things to pursue that it seems impossible to choose just one focus. I always wished that somehow you could combine everything- languages, architecture, design, biology, engineering, botany, physics, astronomy, art, psychology and finance all into one in depth major.

lightining.jpg
ferns.jpg

would love to travel the world and become immersed in different cultures. In the past they had ‘the tour’ where people would travel and see for themselves great monuments and works of art. Technology and the access of information is a great achievement but I think that you lose too much of the actual place by looking at a book or online. I want to actually go to these places and see everything for myself- take into account the physical aspects along with the emotional ones that help to inform a place.

siutcase.jpg
traveling gnome.jpg

It is also very important to me that I be constantly creating something, no matter how big or small. I think that people all have different ways of viewing their world, I view mine in terms of possibilities seeing not only what is there but what can become. I can relate to Andy Goldsworthy on this level, he is constantly absorbed in his work as if it takes over his life for a short time while he creates. I am also happiest in this state of oblivion where my purpose and vision takes over. Project ideas constantly arise and I enjoy researching them to learn more and experimenting to learn new things in my free time. I have always longed for an educational environment where projects would be open and allowed to consume the syllabus and merge into ever continuing design, allowing the student to be constantly immersed, interested and inspired while learning.

glow world 2.jpg

Continue reading "Prompt #4" »

Prompt #3

The first place we begin to learn values is at home and school. Our parents teach us their ideas about the world and this is our only idea of truth until we start school. There we are exposed to many opinions and learn there is more than one viewpoint apart from our sheltered family existence. We are exposed to many ideas and begin to learn that it is important to think for yourself and create our own goals and ideals.
Make your own path.
own path.jpg

water.jpg
What's around us affects how we see things.
upsidedown tree.jpg

I know that my ideas of the world are strongly influenced by what surrounds me. I value the environment, being from Minnesota I could not imagine a world that you would not be able to enjoy lakes and forests. I also value safety since I had a wonderful family that protected me when I was young, unfortunately many children do not get that advantage. It is something easily taken for granted when you are young and do not know how much the real world differs from the personal comfort your parents provide. My parents provided the biggest influence on my values, they taught me to think for myself and that any goal you set for yourself is attainable.

window on the world.jpg
Private window to the world.

Some quotes I try to remember…..

“The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself.?
-Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

“Happiness depends upon ourselves.?
-Aristotle

“Pick a career field that closely follows a personal passion, regardless of financial implications or job availability. The most successful people in life are passionate about their work.?

“Sometimes the hardest thing in the world can be to open your eyes & look at things the way they really are…But whatever you see, no matter how painful- it’s better than not seeing at all….?
-last 2 unknown authors/ Mom’s advice
Song List
Wish upon a Star
Amazing Grace
One- Creed

I remember to always search for the truth and create my own opinions, never believe that something is impossible thereby limiting your self.
photos from www.flickr.com