« Prompt #3 | Main | 2/8/08-Intro »

Prompt #4

books.jpg

What an interesting concept, what would I do if released from the constraints of architecture school? I guess this is something that never really occurred to me. The world is so busy that it seems either you are doing what needs to be done or that you can set goals and travel down the path of objectives to reach them, sometimes finding space where you can squeeze out some enjoyment. From what I’ve learned about myself over the years I know I would not be content to just be idle. Even the brief periods of my life when I did not attend school made me realize how much I crave to learn new things. Once I feel that I have an understanding of something I start searching for new ideas concepts, constantly feeling the need to learn more. What it is does not really matter, from learning to cook something new, to figuring out if seeds from an apple will really grow into a tree that produces more fruit. It seems that the world has a limitless ability to offer forth new ideas and information just in everyday life if you pay attention to the details. I have always had a difficult time with college majors because of this, there are just so many things to pursue that it seems impossible to choose just one focus. I always wished that somehow you could combine everything- languages, architecture, design, biology, engineering, botany, physics, astronomy, art, psychology and finance all into one in depth major.

lightining.jpg
ferns.jpg

would love to travel the world and become immersed in different cultures. In the past they had ‘the tour’ where people would travel and see for themselves great monuments and works of art. Technology and the access of information is a great achievement but I think that you lose too much of the actual place by looking at a book or online. I want to actually go to these places and see everything for myself- take into account the physical aspects along with the emotional ones that help to inform a place.

siutcase.jpg
traveling gnome.jpg

It is also very important to me that I be constantly creating something, no matter how big or small. I think that people all have different ways of viewing their world, I view mine in terms of possibilities seeing not only what is there but what can become. I can relate to Andy Goldsworthy on this level, he is constantly absorbed in his work as if it takes over his life for a short time while he creates. I am also happiest in this state of oblivion where my purpose and vision takes over. Project ideas constantly arise and I enjoy researching them to learn more and experimenting to learn new things in my free time. I have always longed for an educational environment where projects would be open and allowed to consume the syllabus and merge into ever continuing design, allowing the student to be constantly immersed, interested and inspired while learning.

glow world 2.jpg

photos from www.flickr.com