« Prompt #4 | Main | 2/11/08- Monday »

2/8/08-Intro

Today was my first day at Minnesota Internship Center Charter Schools, which was basically a day for filling out paper work and meeting the people coordinating the program. It seems a little disorganized since I gather this is the first time they have instituted tutors so we are not sure of the times that they need us or how the kids will get referred to us for tutoring. I am pretty optimistic about it though, I’m sure everything will be worked out soon. I would have to admit that it was kind of different; I guess I had imagined that it was going to be like any other high school but it seems as if the kids just kind of wander from place to place and no one seems to be directing them to where they have to be. I guess they are expected to take that responsibility on themselves, which is very different from how my high school was organized.
The orientation packet that they had organized for us was very interesting. There was a quiz that we completed that measured what kind of life skills everyone had, which was very insightful. It was divided into 3 categories- could you survive in poverty, middle class, and wealth and had basic skills you would to thrive in that particular environment. It just proved how much you learn from your environment and how difficult it be to learn all the things necessary to thrive if you were removed from what you are accustomed to. They also went over some of the driving decision making forces that are attributed to different levels of wealth and the assets that help an individual succeed. So much that is not apparent goes into what a person easily achieves. This was one of the best orientations that I have been to. They actually provided a lot of information that I had not previously know about instead of the basic rules of conduct that you usually encounter.