« 2/11/08- Monday | Main | Random Thoughts »

Monday 2/25/08

Today did not go so well. It started out okay, I was happy that a lot of the students we worked with last time decided to come back. One of the students in particular had taken the material we had worked on last time home with her and completed the rest of the problems, which was great to see so much initiative on her part. Several times now there have been fights while we were volunteering but the one from today was very upsetting to me.
The student I had mentioned and a staff member got into a fight while I was at the school. Both of them had to be restrained from hurting each other and they yelled numerous threats while trying to get around the staff restraining them. At first I really didn’t think a whole lot about it because I had assumed that they were both students and I had witnessed this before, but when I learned that it was a staff at the school who was involved it really upset me. From what I overheard the staff had made a comment that the student felt was derogatory to her about not being expected to graduate. She then yelled at the staff about disrespecting her and treating her like a child which escalated. I could understand how the student might feel if a teacher said something like that, even thought the teacher probably did not mean it in this sense. What was upsetting was to see the teacher trying to physically get into it with the student, as I said both were restrained. I know many things were said but that is something that would have never happened at my school. There are better ways to deal with a student than trying to fight them. When we left the girl’s mother was there and they were going to meet with the head of the school. I just feel bad for the student because I would feel the same way if I was disrespected and if handled differently it would never have had to escalate to the point it did. Hopefully the student will be there when I go next week, if not I will be thoroughly disappointed that someone with so much promise was cast aside.