« Butler | Main | smitten »

Judith Butler

"If one "is" a woman, that is surely not all one is; the term fails to be exhaustive, not because a pregendered "person" transcends the specific paraphernalia of its gender, but because gender is not always constituted coherently or consistently in different historical contexts, and because gender intersects with racial, class, ethnic, sexual, and regional modalities of discursively constituted identities"
-Judith Butler (p. 354)

Butler is referring to a "woman" as a social construct, implying its fluidity and its formation as a "gender" one can possess, along with being an identity one can claim. She refers to "women" as a gender, not a biological sex. Since gender seems to lack any coherent history, as far as it being consistently considered a socially constructed "gender"/identity. One is never just a woman, as one is never just an African American or a Muslim. Gender is constantly reconstructed through it's multiple intersectionalities; and since it is socially constructed it is also always changing dependent upon the social location and historical position. As another professor prefers to say, "everyone has a buffet of identities".

I think it is very interesting how people can claim different identities, as they can also be placed within certain social categories depending upon their social location or positionality. The way we view the world is dependent upon our social location within it, and is shaped by our multiple identities. The way we are allowed to move within the world determines the way we see ourself within it. I see the world as a white, heterosexual, female, located within a first world context. This world view shapes my basis for making sense of the world around me.

If only it was this obvious to us, though.