With the start of the school year fast approaching, a number of road and sidewalk closures are scheduled in the coming weeks as crews work to complete projects before the start of fall semester. Detour routes will be posted for all closures, and drivers, bike riders, pedestrians and bus riders should plan accordingly.
- Pleasant Street will close this weekend between Pillsbury Drive and Arlington Street to allow for the extension of a storm sewer associated with the Northrop renovation. The work will require both sidewalk and street closures and will begin this evening (Friday) at 6:00 p.m. The street and sidewalk will be open by Monday, August 13.
- On Monday, August 13, a short section of the Scholars Walk between Union Street and the Mechanical Engineering entrance will close for work related to the new Physics Nanotechnology Building. The section of Scholars Walk will open again on Friday, August 31.
- Beacon Street will close between Harvard and Walnut Streets on Wednesday, August 15 as crews remove the two tower cranes in place at the Rec Center Expansion construction site. Beacon Street will open again on Friday, August 24. Pedestrians on the Scholars Walk will periodically be asked to wait or use other routes when material is lifted over the Scholars Walk.
- The Washington Avenue Bridge will be closed to all vehicle traffic from Monday, August 20 through Sunday, August 26 as crews work 24/7 to install the rails for the Central Corridor LRT line. The pedestrian level of the Bridge will remain open.
- A variety of sidewalk closures will affect pedestrians, particularly on the south side of Washington Avenue in front of Coffman Union, Hasselmo Hall, and Weaver Densford Hall. The Central Corridor Project Office has made sidewalk reconstruction a top priority with the goal of having as many sidewalks as possible open for the start of fall semester.
Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation during these closures.