« The Cost of Iraq and Afghanistan Wars | Main | Iraq: Calling it for what it is at long last »

Liberians in the U S speak about peace in their country #1

After almost three decades of violence that killed a quarter million people, Liberians finally have what every human want – peace albeit for now. On Jan. 16 2006, the continent’s first elected female president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, took the oath to lead a nation ravaged by three decades of violence. For the first time in three decades, the west African nation recently celebrated a year without guns in the hands of child-soldiers.

The Twin Cities have about 30,000 Liberians. What do these Liberians think about the ongoing peace building efforts in their native land?

Sources:

Pastor Nathaniel B Sikeley
Tel:763 458 5685

Emmanuel Dolo, Ph.D.
edolo@sowashco.k12.mn.us.

Dr Wilhemina Holder
Tel: 651645 5828
email: aafact_inc@msn.com

I am in the 8th grade and I have chosen to research Liberia as my project for National History Day (www.nationalhistoryday.org). I would like to hear if Liberians are optimistic about their country's future and what they think are the biggest challenges that face their nation.

Thank you!
Michael Reed

Wow! An eighth-grader found you. How awesome. I hope Michael left an email address so you can get in touch.

Another great story idea. This would be fascinating to read.

Your first two story ideas flowed from your personal experience, which is great, but be aware that there could be some conflict-of-interest issues raised if you covered them. I bet you could maintain the necessary objectivity, but someone might question whether you have a personal bias toward some of the political players in Liberia who might be mentioned in the article.

For the remaining story ideas, be sure to step outside of your own life.

I assume you saw the great series in the Star Tribune in February by Sharon Schmickle? You can see the online version of Schmickle's major project, "A People Torn: Liberians in Minnesota," which includes audio clips and a slideshow, at www.startribune.com/liberia .

Your classmate Shara Smallwood noticed the series and blogged about it -- read Shara's comments.