« Comments on Melinda's Obeservations | Main | Getting Your Hands on Public Records »

Stephanie Dickrell's Musings on Somalia

Stephanie Dickrell's analysis about the news story in Somalia was an excellent piece of work by a student. Her ability to focus on the what is important and therefore news worthy is commendable.

I found her analysis particularly informative when the pointed out what U. S media thinks is news worthy. In this case the arrival of an American official in Somalia. Of course the number of dead in the six days street fighting between the U S-back interim government forces and the Ethiopian troops was presented with less enthusiasm. Excellent job, Stephanie.

But Stephanie did not say whether or not there were opportinities to improve the stories.The phrase "Called off" in the AP's account for example, meant "cancelled."

Als,o an important observation was left out. That is, both versions did not mention the fact that the U. S assisant secretary of state for African affairs Jendayi Frazer had no contact with the islamists. More than 1,000 people have so far been killed in Somalia since fighting began early this month.

I would have emphasized United States possible involvement with possble war crimes given its support for the interim government and the Ethiopian troops with the information from the EU. I think that the warning by the European envoy of possble war crimes been committed in recent fighting was down played by Wsetern media establishments. Did it prompt the U.S. visit?

I intended for you to post your comment as a comment attached to the blog of the other student. Thus the other student sees your reaction. If you have already gotten John to give you credit for this, fine. But in the future, append your comment to the other student's original blog posting.

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! yehbuzfnfuwlpb