« Sen.Clinton seeks new way to withdraw U.S. Troops | Main | Democrats, Bush remain far apart on Iraq funding »

My Journalistic Mission

For centuries the tradional mission of journalists has been to inform, educate and entertain. This mission has changed or expanded over the years as technology has taken journalists to a completely new age. Information technology. Journalists have increasingly made government officials to be accountable and responsible to their citizens. But this role varies from developed ton developing societies.

For journalists in the developing world continue to face myriad of difficulties some these challenges. Lack of better training institutions, lack of technology and democratic governmenst are some of the huge difficulties these third world journalists are face with.

But globalization and by convergence of information tecnology has provided hope. Today, cell phone, internet are can be found in the remotest part of the world where users in those parts of the globe can get in touch with people and read what events took place in the U>S, Britain, France Japan etc.

This brings me to my role as journalist from a developing country. I have a responsibility tell story. This story has been told already by many outsiders. The story of Africa has been told but in a way the storytellers chose. This story is largely onesided.
Often, stories from my continent only addressed what happened. The how and why components are left uutouched. For instance, in the United States, the image of Africa is one of decease, violence, corruption and civil wars. Western journalists barely take time to go beyond the events to understand the causes or origins of these problems.

The point is, while it is true that parts of Africa experience these problems, the Western media establishments have completely ignored the good side of Africa.

I believe that with proper training and understanding the mentality of the West, one can make a meaningful contribution to reshape Africa's image. This will be my journalist mission.