« Blog 3: Millennium Development Goal | Main | Blog 5: How the built environment affects me. »

Blog 4: Free of constraints

Blog 4: if you were completely released from the constraints of the architecture school program, what would you do architecturally, artistically, bodily, lyrically, etc that would still have an impact on your environment. Describe a real or imagined place which might allow you to do this. Explore through text and image.

Traveling Classroom

Wouldn’t that be everyone’s dream? To be set free, letting your creative juices just flow in every which direction with no limits or roadblocks. Or would it? Some people need constraints and would contemplate which path to take when it only diverges into two. Now imagine standing in the middle of a field, where there are no pervious paths. It’s just you, completely surrounded by an empty field that seems to stretch on forever. Each step you take creates your own path, which can be overwhelming when there are so many possibilities. That’s how this blog is making me feel, not only do I have to figure out what I would do architecturally, but also artistically, bodily, and lyrically.
There are a lot of possibilities, but there are a couple high priority opportunities I would take advantage of, if I have no constraints from the architecture school program. The first would be traveling. There are many great study abroad opportunities, which I’m already taking advantage of, but I would like to travel free, with no itinerary. I want to be submersed in new cultures, learning the way of others; their architecture, art, music, beliefs, language, and all together daily life styles. I could read about different cultures all day, but until I actually taste their bizarre traditional foods, and view famous architectural pieces with my own senses, I won’t fully understand their presence in this world. This brings me to the other restraint I feel in the architecture school program; hands on learning. The service learning partnerships is designed perfectly for us students to feel that positive engagement in communities, but I’m greedy, and I want more. Not only do I want to connect with communities on a personal level and understand their needs, but I also want to apply my knowledge of a community or culture with creativity, to craft architecture that will benefit them.

untitled.bmp

There is one thing I know, that even without constraints of any kind, I always want to be learning. I would ideally want to be in a setting where I can learn continuously and at the same time not be limited to two paths, but to be able to have that feeling as if I were standing in a field, to create my own path. In this place I would be able to learn activity, be engaged in a community and in the construction process. I would travel and gain firsthand experience and overcome challenges that might be presented in different locations around the world. A place that is already established, Rural Studio, has some of these same visions. Their mission statement reads as follows.
“The mission of the Rural Studio is to enable each participating student to cross the threshold of misconceived opinions to create/design/build and to allow students to put their educational values to work as citizens of a community. The Rural Studio seeks solutions to the needs of the community within the community's own context, not from outside it. Abstract ideas based upon knowledge and study are transformed into workable solutions forged by real human contact, personal realization, and a gained appreciation for the culture.?

rural studio.jpg

If all constraints were lifted from me, I’d be traveling and exploring new places, environments, people, and cultures, learning first hand instead of in a lecture hall. Then I would take all this knowledge and apply it to paper, through architecture plans, writings, or drawings. I would give back to the environment, people, or community for all the knowledge they gave to me, by transforming my plan on paper into a structure. I’d not stand by and watch it go up, but rather actually be a part of creating it. Even after its completion, I would still continue to learn. I would observe how the environment and people interact with the new structure, learning what materials worked well or what part of my design could be improved. If all constraints were lifted from me, my learning experience would take place in more than one setting, a traveling classroom completely submersed in new cultures and ideas.