« Art teacher accused of molesting students | Main | The state of Virgina apologizes for slavery »

German torture victim challenges the C.I.A.

Khaled al-Masri a German Lebanese decent man accused the CIA of kidnapping and torturing him for five months in 2003. Masri wants an apology from the U.S. authorities. The German prosecutores have ordered the arrest of 13 suspected CIA agents that kidnapped Masri in Macedonia and flew him to Afghanistan. News stories are calling this an example of "extraordinary rendition". BBC News defines, "extraordinary rendition" as a practice whereby the U.S. government flies foreign terror suspects to third countries without judicial process to interrogation or detention. The New York Times defines it has, "in which terrorism suspects are seized and sent for interrogation to other countries, including some in which torture is practiced. I believe that these two definitions are very different. The BBC News focuses on how it's breaking the law, in that the U.S. government authorities are breaking policies and not following the rules. The New York Times focuses on how terrorists are caught and then tortured. With this set in mind both articles are influence by their own definitions. The NYT talks about what happen during the torture process, "he was shackled, beaten and interrogated about alleged ties to Al Qaeda...Masri has asserted that he was interrogated three times inside his prison in Kabul, Afghanistan, by a German who indentified himself as "Sam." The BBC News talks about the emotional effect the torture victim faces today," I'm suffering from stress-this experience has left me traumatised... he is feeling isolated and depressed...his life isn't back to normal, he was tortured, nobody cared about him until now. The trauma is so deep in him, needs a lot of help, not just psychotherapy. Nobody was able to give him a simple job." I believe that the NYT did a better job of explaing what happened than BBC. I'm an American so it's possible that there is a small language barrier and how the news is presented in England.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6325561.stm
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/world/europe/01germany.html?_r=1&oref=slogin