« 82-foot dinosaur found in Australia | Main

Thousands of Mexicans strip for photo shoot

A record of 18,000 people took off their clothes to pose for U.S. photographic artist Spencer Tunick on Sunday in Mexico. Tunick broke his record from 2005 that was 7,000 people naked from Spain.

In the Reuters story reported by Tomas Sarmiento started the third paragraph in a narrative style. He writes, "Directing with a megaphone, Tunick shot a series of pictures with Mexican models simultaneously raising their arms..." This sort of style I think is perfect for this topic because he's talking about art and he is writing in an artistic way.

Sarmiento also wrote about the experiences that the Mexicans went throught in preparing for the photo shoot. He wrote, "Mexicans are not used to showing skin. Most men wear shorts only while on vacation and women ten not to put on miniskirts because of unwanted whistles and states." I think this is a vibrant quote because it's showing the artist in his element, which important when covering arts and entertainiment.

In the Ohio News Network Associated Press reporter Istra Pacheco covered the same story. In the lead second paragraph it talks about what the scene of 18,000 naked people looked like. She wrote, "Standing up to salute, crouching in a fetal positions and lying prone on the tiles of the Zocalo plaza." I think this is an extrodanary way to describe a scene, it's sounds so fascinating. She also captured the voice of the artistest just like reporter Sariento, she writes, "What a moment for the Mexican art scene."

I think both of these reporter did a great job in reporting the art scene. I do think that both reporters should have reported more on Tunicks reason for the photo shoot. The only reason was that he just creates shapes and forms with human bodies. I think that there could have been more of a story. How was this artist capable of gathering 18,000 Mexicans that known for covering up their bodies? I think more of an explanation would have been more interesting in both stories.

When I went to Mexico in the mid-80s with a church group, the males in the group were told not to wear shorts, even in hot weather, unless we were on a beach. (And we had no plans of being on a beach) We were told the only

Mexican men who wore shorts while walking around in the streets were gay male prostitutes. The fact so many people did this in Mexico is amazing to me. I lived in El Paso three years, approximately, and spent a lot of time in Mexico even before I was stationed in El Paso with the army. It would have been my guess the event would have been a flop, but I guess the opposite happened...there must be some deep need to bust loose of the cultural constraints.