The Future of Journalism

As everyone knows journalism is changing rapidly. I havn't thought about my place in the world of journalism AND techonology. Maybe this is because I'm not a huge technology person, I see the advantages of reading the news on the web. A person can interact with the news rather than just read it. I think that reading the news from a newspaper is overall better for our world.

When a person reads from a newspaper they see headlines that catch their interest. Maybe it's a headline that would not normally read but since it's right in front of them and not "X" out a web page, or just click away they will read the story. When a person just receieves emails for only the wanted parts of the news they want, they lack the whole experience of reading a newspaper.

The worst part of journalism in the future is the pace. The pace that is set for journalists now is so fast that journalists have a hard time giving quality work to readers. When I'm in the journalism workfield I think it is my job to combine technology and journalism. I think the older generation did not know how to deal with two extremes--they were dealt with a problem that they had no idea how to solve. Hopefully, my generation will be able to balance technology and journalism.

We'll know if the journalism and technology crisis is solved once journalist jobs are not cut and the younger generation is reading.

Urban Education and New Urban Living

Currently in Minneapolis loft condos are selling and making big bucks for real estate agents. When these big expensive condos are built in poorer neighborhoods it pushes low-income people out of their neighborhood and into more affordable housing, which are in even poorer neighborhoods. These poorer neighborhoods have "poverty" schools. The schools cannot provide an education that can turn a disadvatage student into a successful student because of lack of funding. We can call this inequality access in education.

Sources:

Alice Seagren: She is commissioner of The Minnesota Department of Education, 651-582-8200.

Doug Dooher: Communication specialist and Schools First! Coordinator for a non-profit organization called Education Minnesota, 651-292-4820.

Thomas Fulton: He is president and board member of The Housing Preservation Project, 612-375-9644

Public Documents and My Experience

I found the LRT priority handbook on the Stpaul.gov website. The document
has 212 pages and provides thorough information on topics such as project planning, engineering approaches, project design, operation, maintenance, case study summaries, surveys that were done, equipment, etc.

Since the Central Corridor is a hot topic being discussed among St. Paul city council members the handbook was easy to access. The problems that I had was reading the jargon which is in the handbook. Most of the terminology was influenced by engineering and transit jargon, which I have to clue about. So overall I do not know how useful this handbook will be. It has a lot of information, but also a lot of jargon. I could sort out all the jargon, but this may be very time consuming.

On the other hand, for starting out I think this document will be more helpful than a city
council agenda meeting. The document is very cut and dry but also explains its agenda ( this will allow me find my own controversy on the LRT topic or catch something new).

2008 Presidental Election

Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama are two democratic canadaties running for the 2008 presidental election. So far, Obama has raised $25 million for his campaign and Clinton $26 million, plus $10 millions from her senate reelection campaingn, making a total of $36 million.

My story idea is to get the University of Minnesota opionions on the election and why they would vote for the canadate. Then I would get the opinions of city officals about elections and the election process. Combine it all together so I'll have college student input, but also factual information on the elections

Sources:

John Sullivan: Political Science professor at the University of Minnesota, 612-624-4144
Amy Klobuchar: Minnesota U.S. Senator, 651-714-2006
Keith Ellison: Congressman and University of Minnesota graduate Law School, 612-522-1212

Pop or No Pop?

The food and soda that are in vending machines are high calorie unhealthy food and drinks. These vending machines are placed in middle schools and high schools, which are accessable in many parts of the school. Local schools need to recongize the major problems these vending machines bring to their school. 1. The food is bad and does not help the child obesity problem many children have. 2. The vending machines do not offer healthier choices for children. 3. Hello! It's direct marketing to children, which I consider unethical because the children are there to learn not to buy. 4. The food is expensive.

The research would focus on why the schools are allowing vending machines into their school. After I have the answer I would question the ethical aspect of the situation. Vending machines can be a distraction for students who want to learn and do not provide other healthier options for children who have eating problems.

Eagan High School pricinpal Polly Reikowski 651-683-6902
Kenneth H. Brown M.D. professor Nutritionist in AES 530-752-1992 khbrown@ucdavis.edu
Dr. Zachary Hambrick psychology professor at Michigan State 517-353-6425 hambrick3@msu.edu

Pet Food

There has been a recall on many pet food brand names. With in the past week, cats and dogs have died. The FDA does not need to approve the ingredients that are put in pet food. It is time that the FDA get involved in pet food production to assure that what is being feed to out pets is safe and trust worthy. If not who will protect out pets? The food companies have already failed at that.

This story could be an investigative piece. Are these the first deaths because of pet food? What companies are involved and how did they let this happen? Will there be lawsuits? How is the FDA going to get involved?

Aimee Meyer, DVM (veterinarian) at Blue Cross Animal Clinic 612-822-2149

Amir Alavi, FDA Investigator, 414-771-7167

Dan Stevens, DVM, founder of a non profit organization that emphasizes on ethical issues with animals, peta.org 757-622-7382

St. Paul Light Rail

The light rail is expanding its tracks to downtown St. Paul. There has been controversy on what streets the train will have its stops. When the Minneahaha train was being built contractors built the train right through neighborhoods and then gave residents money for the any loss in proppery value. What should the St. Paul contractors do to prevent this distruption?

Sources
Otto Banks, Deputy Assistant Secretary for economic development, 612- 708-4091.
Peter Bell, chair metropolitian council member(supports the Greater Minnesota Housing Fund) , 651-602-1453.
Ralph Whyman, board chair person of Longfellow community council (Hiawatha light rail), (612) 722-4529.

Strip Clubs and Students

Strip clubs businesses are popping up everywhere in Minneapolis, the increase has doubled in the past 4 years. Employment ads for dancers are posted in the Minnesota Daily, the ads say," Will work around school schedule." How many of these girls are actually stripping while in college, and why? Is the causation of stripping due to an increase in school tutition, social issues changing, psychological, etc.

John Wilkie, business lawyer 612-298-6646
Dave, Deja Vu, Manager , 612-333-6333 (would not give last name)
Ellen Berscheid, Psychology Department of the Unversity of Minnesota--deals with Social, interpersonal attraction, close relationships, social perception and cognition, emotion