Autobiography

My name is Carl Cortez. I am an 18-year-old freshman and international student from the Philippines studying at the University of Minnesota. I studied and grew up in Singapore and graduated from United World College of South East Asia with an International Baccalaureate Diploma. I like to play a lot of sports particularly basketball. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering and am very interested in the way things function. Technological gadgets are included in my interests. Other things that I do for fun include listening to music, watching movies, and hanging out with my friends. Musically and artistically, I am quite challenged as my talents within those fields are minimal. Yet, listening to music is a big part of who I am. A lot of different genres of music appeals to me especially when the lyrics are good or I am able to relate to it in some way. The lyrics have to flow well with the beat in order to make it work. This is why a lot of R&B music is what I listen to. It is one way of dealing with my emotions. The lyrics may be depressing, but it is a good outlet to release stress or ease my mind. I like mathematics and physics but dislike biological sciences yet I like to see different perspectives on scenery. Family and friends are important in life and are a big part of the reason as to why I am the way I am.

IMG_1652.JPG

Final Project

Sign

03042010130.jpg

East Bank 2

IMG_9044.JPG

East Bank

IMG_9039.JPG

Target Field

13032010106.jpg

West Bank 3

IMG_1850.JPG

West Bank 2

IMG_1848.JPG

West Bank 1

IMG_1847.JPG

3 minute sequence analysis

The very beginning of the movie "Where The Wild Things Are" clearly starts of with a lot of foreshadowing, intent and specific visual elements in order to help convey the themes and storyline of the movie. The amount of focus from the camera on Max from the very start evidently shows how important of a character he is in the movie. The snowball fight he picks in the beginning is full of foreshadows of what is to come later on in the movie where Max runs of to an imaginative world in a wolf costume where wild beasts elect him as king. This is enhanced with the visual effects, going back and forth between his sister's friends and him with a lot of emphasis on him, showing how he drives the movie representing him as 'king' and ruler as it is seen later on. Many different camera angles are use and the one in particular is from the perspective of Max. For example before he picks the fight, he sets the scene up and the audience sees the scene in the view of Max (from his eyes). This also signifies the fact that the movie is about him and in his eyes as it is his imagination that we will be seeing. The scene shortly after where Max runs into his igloo also portrays a lot about Max's character. The fact that he runs into it and the way the camera shows this is significant. Firstly it is from a spectator's point of view, but once he gets inside the camera view suddenly changes to what Max sees; the opening of the igloo with the older kids running after him. This stresses the importance of what he sees and hears. Then sudden blackness results when one of the kids jumps and breaks his igloo. This was so sudden and unexpecting as a visual for it to suddenly turn to blackness for quite a while. All we end up hearing is screaming from Max. As there are no visuals, it helps aid the movie from showing the darkness that Max then feels and how sad and lonely he gets causing him to create a world of his own later on where he runs away. As Max gets up from this torn igloo, the camera is facing on top of him to show how small he is and how the other kids looks down on him. Shortly after, the camera is leveled with is body as he goes into his sister's room and starts destroying it showing how much equivalent power he has. It represents how neutral in mixed emotions Max is in. The camera's focus on his motions such as his hands ripping the crafts and him stomping on the floor help show his feelings of anger and bitterness. The music that goes along with it is so upbeat which reinforces the high levels of emotions Max holds within him. As he hits his realization point of what he has just done, Max falls to his knees whilst the camera view stays leveled looking down on him to show how small Max is and that he cannot contain and maintain his anger and power especially since he starts to cry. The lighting in the room is also a big contrast from the outside world, which is bright and white and colorful. Inside the room where Max releases all these emotions the lighting is very dark and gloomy. The is reiterated as the scene changes to him laying in bed where the music/audio of a piano playing also aids the movie show how depressed Max is with his life and feels so isolated and lonely.

Barbara 2

02042010129.jpg

Barbara

02042010128.jpg

In the night

29032010122.jpg

West Bank

IMG_1845.JPG

Signs

IMG_1843.JPG

St. Paul

IMG_1853.JPG

A building

IMG_1857.JPG

Downtown

IMG_1854.JPG

Downtown St. Paul

IMG_1856.JPG

BFA Exhibit in the Quarter Gallery Building

The piece I chose to write about is the following digital image:
IMG_1862.JPG

These two digital images ("10.02.06" and "4.22.09) work hand in hand with one another. Despite the suggested time difference between the titles of the two images, both art pieces are seen to be images of the same place where there 2 chairs present next to a concrete, solid block. As suggested by the description that went along with "10.02.06" it serves as a reminder of the little important things that constitute pieces of human presence. This includes the plastic bottles to the empty chairs. The image itself is very foreboding and dark through not only the way the image was taken by angle, but also by the time of day it was taken and the shadows that enhance the darkness that resides in that small frame of human existence.

From the descriptions and words that are superimposed on the image itself, the viewer can get the impression of loneliness and death. It can be suggested that the concrete block is a tomb where the two chairs could represent that the area used to be inhabited and occupied by human existence but is now as empty and desolate as the environment seems with the way color contrast is used between the shadows provided by the 'tomb' onto the chairs. The image is very strong and powerful as it draws a lot of attention as to what is really going on in the image. The fact that there is a lot of ambiguity as to why that shot was taken and what was being thought of at that point in time presents many questions to the viewer. This is also emphasized through the layout of the image where the writing is all over the place and it even says, "this page is a mess. My fatigue turns to delirium" showing the amount of confusion the image sparks for the artist.

The whole idea of death and supernatural elements such as ghosts is not only provided with the way the setting of the environment is laid out but it is also mentioned as words on the image. As it says on "4.22.09", "The same sound that's been coming through the drains...is haunting me NOW." Which represents the fact that even after that many years, the feelings expressed in the first image is still evident in the second. The second image is a couple of years after the first one, the layout is still somewhat the same; just different lighting and camera angle is used. This shows how the artist is still trying to recollect the ideas that were present when the first image was taken, and not much progress has been made, only a little as suggested by the slight change in angle and lighting. The second one presents more brightness to show the change and movement achieved of possibly getting more peace as the brightness of the second one compared to the first is a lot more calm and vibrant despite both images still being a black and white image.