« Purify | Main | Man, I love this town (but hate Movable type...3rd try posting this) »

Sustaining Songs

For the research project, I will be working on UN Millennium Goal number 7, which is "Ensure Environmental Sustainability."

Specific points under this category are:

-Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes; reverse loss of environmental resources

-Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water

-Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers, by 2020

Well, after combing through my playlist, this is what I came up with for a possible playlist for the goal:

Running Out of Days-3 Doors Down

R-Evolve-30 Seconds to Mars

Young and Proud-Ace of Base

Before Tomorrow Comes-Alter Bridge

The Times, They Are A-Changin’-Bob Dylan

In the Ghetto-Elvis

Raise Your Hands-Bon Jovi

Look What You’ve Done-Bread

Onset-Buckcherry

Shake it Up-The Cars

The Big Issue-Chumbawamba

We’re Going Wrong-Cream

Let it Rain-Eric Clapton

Land of Confusion-Genesis

Have a Little Faith in Me-Joe Cocker

Only the Young-Journey

Go Where You Wanna Go-The Mamas and the Papas

Time is Running Out-Papa Roach

Paramore-Miracle

We Are the Champions-Queen

I Won’t Back Down-Tom Petty

Eve of Destruction-Barry McGuire

It’s My Life-Bon Jovi

Update 2/20: Ok, now I found some quotes and images. This is still just a start and will be built upon as the research progresses. Quotes: "The two-word definition of sustainability is 'one planet.'" --Mathis Wackernagel

"Pain is not an evolutionary error." --Mathis Wackernagel

"We do not have an ecological crisis. The ecosphere has a human crisis. Our 'story' about our place in the scheme of things has somehow gone awry in the industrial age..." -- William Rees

"The reconciliation of growth and the environment...is the vast and grand work of the 21st century." --Dan Walters

"Sustainability is especially ripe for political controversy and opposition because fundamentally it is a new paradigm that represents significant challenges to the status quo. The paradigm of sustainability, with its notions of limitations and carrying capacities confronts dominant paradigms of progress which do not recognize limits to unchecked growth." --Economist Hazel Henderson

Images:
foreclosures in n mn
foreclosures in North Minneapolis-not only are homes not sustainable, but they are also not affordable...
crackstacks
Cedar-Riverside's current housing...
Photobucket
current, unattractive solar panels
circle
great focus picture