« Search for Form | Main | Design »

Inspiration or Imitation?

Perhaps I am missing the point of this blog entirely, but the way I took it was that I was supposed to look for graphic design ideas to use in my final project/presentation. Honestly, I can’t. If I see too many other designs, I will subconsciously use them in almost exact form, thinking I created something cool and original, only to happen upon the inspiration and think, "Oh, well that’s disappointing (and possibly illegal)." I realize that knowledge can always be gained from reviewing others’ art, but I have already seen a lot of graphic design (edited my high school newspaper and yearbook), and feel competent using graphic design software in an original way. In studying others’ buildings, it would be almost impossible to recycle ideas too much if attention is paid to form, site, and program. Ideas can be adapted to new projects, but still will evolve more. Graphic design, however, could be too closely copied, and since I value my originality (and value others’ originality), I would not want to copy someone else’s work. I realize, looking at my blog, that it is not the best laid out, but that is because I do not know how to get it to look that way, despite hours and hours of searching. Graphic design software, unlike blogging software, I know how to manipulate fairly well, and would like to do using the project to inspire the design, rather than being inspired to design by design. Well, this is how I feel on the topic, and know that, despite the fact that it is 5 AM (spent a lot of time thinking about how to best say this in a non-offensive manner), this is not a cop-out. If necessary, I will re-do this blog, but I really do not think that would be overly beneficial to the final project. For someone who has never worked with this stuff before, it is a good idea, but believe me, summer yearbook camp (which is about as fun as it sounds...) and newspaper seminars give some pretty intensive training. This is not at all because I am opposed to blogging (note that I have posted many non-required blogs), but that I just do not agree with the focus of this. I suppose I have said that already, but I really do mean it to be not offensive...