« Mussolini? Does that come with white sauce? | Main | everyone's just as petty as I am »

Charity is *so* 19th century

So I was with a group of people last night, and this is a quote from one of the girls there. It just made me laugh. It was in the context of a debate on the merits of Andrew Carnegie.

So, these people I was hanging out with, they were an interesting crew, most of them leaning so far to the left I was afraid they would fall over. But I suddenly felt like ignorance incarnate: They were whipping out historical anecdotes almost as well as my father could (which is telling you something) and had quite a detailed knowledge of contemporary events. For example, the conversation veered to what just happened in Russia. Now, that event was so awful that I almost don't want to comment on it directly; when a tragedy of that nature occurs I shy away from talking about it because I feel as though I can have no appropriate sense of that kind of suffering. Therefore anything I say will be so abstracted from the reality that my comments will be inevitably off-base. On the other hand, I would appreciate knowing more the details of the Chechnian situation. I thought I understood it to an extent but as we were discussing it last night, I realized that I don't know much at all. The main question that came up was, why doesn't Russia grant them the autonomy they want?

"production, transport, and control of oil" See digilander.libero.it/Inglese/rp16/Chechnia2.htm

If Alaska wanted autonomy, would it be as simple a task as just "giving them what they want"? This may be less straight-up analogy than just a blind grab for something more substantial than simple greed as the geopolitical motivator de jour.

I know, searching for substance is *so* eighteenth century, I'm sorry. I still kind of dig the Enlightenment project.

Sort of.