« it's been a long time since I've posted anything | Main | get rid of your excess Stuff, and be skeptical of neuroimaging claims »

a review of the book "The Cure Within: A History of Mind-Body Medicine"

see the review herehttp://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/books/review/Groopman-t.html

I've never heard of this book, but it looks like it's picked up on something important. It reminds me of a time when I heard Robert Sapolsky, the stress researcher, talk at Macalester. He refuted a notion that has gotten into so many people's heads -- that cancer is brought on by stress. And in general, I think stress and whatever other forms of malaise are sometimes given too much credit for their role in pathological conditions, such that we might dangerously overlook other factors that might be contributing to whatever symptoms are going on. On the other hand, one can of course underestimate the role of stress, and it sounds like this book does a nice job of fairly considering the evidence for or against the stress hypothesis, whatever the particular situation might be.

By the way, Vivek, I did catch your link on the taser/mp3 player (where would you ever get the idea that I am bothered by obsessive mp3 player use?). This makes me think I'd better lay off my grievances against the i-Podders of the world, lest I find myself getting zapped next time I sit next to one of them on the bus.