Willaim Blake

Here are the images that we will be discussing in class, please bring them with you.
Adam and Eve
The Great Red Dragon
The Tyger and the text
Ancient of Days

Walter Pater

If you haven't already tracked down a copy of the reading for Monday (It's easy to find on the web and also available in print in the Norton Anthology of English Literature vol 2) here it is: "Conclusion to the Renaissance"

It probably wouldn't hurt if you knew something about Walter Pater too.

Trailer Park Boys

Now that we have watched Kenneth Anger's seminal Avant-Garde short, "Scorpio Rising." I want/require you to post your critical response to the film. If you want a touch more background info look it up on imdb or a quick synopsis on wikipedia. Post now, post often. EDIT: As you know, we watched TPB instead. Same Rules apply.

Reading for Wednesday

As advertised, we will be reading Walter Benjamin's "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" on Wednesday.
If you are feeling particularly on the ball, you might want to think about what this essay has to do with Film etc.

Monday's reading and Journal Stuff

Alright, I have decided that I don't want to do the Patriot Act Essay for Monday so if you haven't already, don't bother. I will be bringing a short piece in that we will be reading as a class.

If you require journal fodder: Write about what you liked or disliked or both in the last film you saw.

Unravel Requirement

As I will inform you in class Wednesday: To recieve a process grade on Assignment # 3 you will be required to attend one of the Unravel 2 workshops provided by the library and hand in a certificate attesting to your completion of the workshop with your polished draft of said assignment. You can sign up for the workshop here.

Readings And Journal Topic

The Lester Bangs articles for Monday are:
The Greatest Album Ever Made
and Kraftwerkfeature
Those of you who are feeling enterprising can go out and listen to Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" or something by Kraftwerk for added perspective (I would recommend either "Pocket Calculator" or "Trans Europe Express")

For Wednesday the reading will be:
Christgau, "Creative Censorship"
Azerad, "The Messenger"

Your Journal suggestion for this week: Write a record review.

Have a good weekend.

r.

Journal Question

The suggested journal entry for this week is for you to write about your top five songs to listen to on a monday. Remember you can write about this in whatever way you want.

Top 5 Songs for a Gloomy Sunday
1. Pale Blue Eyes- Velvet underground
2. Waltzing Matilda- Tom Waits
3. How Soon is Now- The Smiths
4. Underwhelmed- Sloan
5. Bobcaygeon- The Tragically Hip

Readings For Friday

Just to reiterate: You are to have read "Heartbreaker" and "I'm Like a Bird" from Songbook by Nick Hornby for class tomorrow. Hope that solves any confusion you may have had.

A possible model for your journal

Download file
As promised a potential model for you journal. Obviously I don't expect it to look just like this, but I wanted you to get a rough idea of what something like this looks like.

r.

Welcome Compketeers!

Welcome to the class blog where I will be posting locations of internet based readings, schedule updates, journal springboards, and other miscellani. You are welcomed, nay encouraged, to leave comments related to--even tangentally--class. Ask questions, post reactions to readings, whatever. I'm looking forward to a productive semester.

Have a good one, eh?
r.