« shoes | Main | no babies »

Coming of Age

This chapter in Aida Hurtado's book was really entertaining and relatable. Every woman had to go through this phase in life, and every woman was affected by it differently. For me, I would have to say my experiences with the first time I got my period were pretty similar to how Aida put it. I remember pulling my mom aside and making her promise on EVERYTHING that she would not tell my father. I don't know why, but it was too terrifying and embarrassing to think that my dad could know that I had gotten my period. I don't know if I was afraid that our relationship would change, like some of her respondents in "Voicing Chicana Feminisms", but I am lucky that our relationship stayed in tact.
When it comes to the first time I had sex, I definitely didn't talk to my parents about it. I definitely never experienced a rigid upbringing, and didn't have a strong image that created a dichotomy (like La Virgen), but I think I definitely knew that that first time wasn't something I wanted to bring up to my parents. It wasn't a proud moment, and I think I just wanted to say I had done it to take the pressure off from my friends.