« Believers, Workers & Lovers -- Post Under Category 2 | Main | »

Did Your Father Make You A Feminist?

The line in chapter eight from the book, Voicing Chicana Feminisms, "men who were important in making them feminists" really got to me today. It made me think about my own father and how he has had an impact on my life. I thought it was interesting how the author said that many of the respondents talked about being their father's son and daughter. In my family by brother is seven years older than me so when I was just starting to find my own identity by brother was out of the house. After reading this section of the chapter I feel like my father had a lot to do with how I am now. For example, in one part of the reading one of the respondents talked about cutting lawn and doing the opposite gender roles in the house and that was me. I've been the one who has cut the lawn and taken out the garbage ever since my brother has been gone. Also my father always pushed me in sports and away from boys. In high school he always told me to focus on my sports and not worry about any boys because I did not need them. He told me that I shouldn't date boys or think about them until I was 25. I know he was joking in some sense because I know he wants me to have someone in my life to love me but I also know that he was letting me know that I didn't have to depend on men and that I should do what I enjoy and accomplish my dreams before I worry about men. This reading has really made me appreciate my father more for always pushing me and guiding me to be stronger. I think there are a lot of people out there who don't appreciate their fathers as much as they should and don't realize how much of an influence they are even if it's hidden under their actions.

My father also helped make me a feminist but that was because he was not around. Seeing my mother raise her children, and suppport us financially and emotionally has always empowered me to know that I can make it on my own if I have to; that my life's happiness does not have to revolve around a man. When I was little I envied "daddy's girls," and dreamed of my (male) knight that would rescue me, but as life has presented its challenges and I have overcome them myself, I really appriciate having been raised a "mommy's girl."