6. Annotated Bibliography - Round 3, 3, Entries

Cerwonka, Allaine. "Traveling Feminist Thought: Difference and Transculturation in Central and Eastern European Feminism." Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society. 33.4 (2008). 809-832.

Allaine Cerwonka's article using the idea of transculturation in the context of perceived clashes between Eastern European feminism and "mainstream" Western feminisms to theorize a more nuanced analysis of difference and the accompanying strict binaries. Transculturation posits that ideas and schools of thought circulate internationally and are adapted to particular contexts and localities.

While her case study is far different from mine, the use of transculturation allows me to understand how supposedly Western ideas are not merely imposed on people, but are shaped and changed to suit the situation at hand. This does not negate the importance of power dynamics in international situations, but merely provides a fuller picture. These ideas give me a firm theoretical background for my application of globalization and its effects of the practice of widow inheritance.

Hattori, Tomohisa. "Reconceptualizing Foreign Aid." Review of International Political Economy 8.4 (2001): 633-60. Print.

"Reconceptualizing Foreign Aid" is an interesting article analyzing the way that aid "euphemizes" greater power imbalances in the global sphere, primarily because the giving is not reciprocal. Additionally, Hattori thoroughly defines and discusses the way that aid operates politically and financially.

The discussion of aid allows me to theorize about the connection between foreign aid that the United States gives to Kenya, Westernization, and their relationship to poverty. These linkages may be particularly important as I begin to think about the role of poverty in the changes in the way widow inheritance was practiced.

Schwarz, Henry, and Sangeeta Ray. A Companion to Postcolonial Studies. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers, 2000. Print.

The chapter "Global Capital and Transnationalism" by Crystal Bartolovich discusses the various theoretical positions on globalization, such as the debate surrounding the current power of the nation-state. The article then discusses more recent post-colonial discussions of globalization, particularly the problematizing of binaries such as colonizer/colonized, and the understanding of how culture shifts and is transported.

It is the review of theories that discuss the intermixing of cultures that is most applicable to my work on changes in widow inheritance. Particularly I want to follow up on a number of citations on theorists who have written on this, including Antonio Gramsci.