Round 2 --- 4 Entries

Harris, Angela P. "Gender, Violence, Race, and Criminal Justice." Stanford Law Review, Vol. 52, No. 4 (Apr., 2000): 777-807. Stanford Law Review. Web. Feb. 9 2010.
This article is about the connection between violence and masculinity. It discusses this connection both in terms of violence within the community and violence with state agents. It's a long article, and I'm hoping it will provide me with a good basis for my paper about violence and masculinity that I can tailor down to gendered and racialized violence. It doesn't quite focus on race, in terms of black/white masculinities in quite the way I want my project to, so I will use other sources to bring in ideas about the racialized nature of violence.

Meijer, Irene Costera and Baukje Prins. "How Bodies Come to Matter: An Interview with Judith Butler." Signs, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Winter, 1998): 275-286. The University of Chicago Press. Web. Feb. 12 2010.
This article is an interview with Butler about performativity. Since I couldn't find an original source for her theories of performativity, I will use this article in its place. I think this interview form provides a more readable and understandable version of some of her theories, which is very important for me (I want my paper to hopefully be easy to read and understand - because that's what frustrates me the most about feminist theory).

Wiegman, Robyn. "The Anatomy of Lynching." Journal of the History of Sexuality, Vol. 3, No. 3, Special Issue: African American Culture and Sexuality (Jan., 1993): 445-467. University of Texas Press. Web. Feb. 9 2010.
This piece is really interesting. It describes lynching as a sexualized, racialized, and state sanctioned form of violence on the bodies of black men. There are a couple ways I could use this piece. I could use it for a tie between racism, policing/discipline, and violence. I could use it conceptually for myself, as a sort of framework to analyze police violence. I haven't really decided what to do with it exactly, but it's an incredibly interesting article that I think ties racism, sexism, state control & sanctioned violence, and feminism together for viewing lynching.

Anderson, Kristin L. and Debra Umberson. "Gendering Violence: Masculinity and Power in Men's Accounts of Domestic Violence." Gender and Society, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Jun., 2001): 358-380. Sage Publications, Inc. Web. Feb. 14 2010.
Feminism has focused a lot of gender violence anddomestic violence, which is the topic of this article. It begins with a discussion of domestic violence as a form of patriarchal violence against women's bodies, and examines male batterers' experience of "doing" gender as it relates to them committing violence against their partners. Given the lack of information or study on police that commit acts of violence I think I could use this piece if I wanted to explore how police perpetrators of violence view themselves and their violence. This may go beyond the scope of my project, but I won't know for sure until I start writing it.

This page contains a single entry by jackie_k published on February 15, 2010 11:20 PM.

Round 1 --- 3 Entries was the previous entry in this blog.

Positionality Paper Assignment is the next entry in this blog.