Assignment #5

As some as of probably already know, my winter theme is holiday gifts. For my structured idea generation, I chose an archetypal product that pretty much everyone needs to shop for their holiday gifts: a shopping bag. It already has a pretty simple structure, so it was hard to come up with creative ideas to make changes to it, but the SCAMPER method still worked pretty well!

SCAMPER

SUBSTITUTE:
Replace handle with padding to make it easier to hold
IMG_0331.jpg

COMBINE:
Combine the bag with a purse's function - pockets on the side for your phone, wallet, etc.
IMG_0325.jpg

ADAPT:
Copy the design of a take-out box with a fold-up lid so your items don't fall out
IMG_0326.jpg

MAGNIFY/MODIFY:
Make the handle bigger/adjustable for cross-body carrying
IMG_0327.jpg

PUT TO OTHER USE:
Fold down into a box for packaging and wrapping the gift
IMG_0328.jpg

ELIMINATE:
Combine the handle and the bag, or use the same material for both
IMG_0329.jpg

REVERSE/REARRANGE:
Make the bag material wrapping paper so it's used for wrapping presents, not buying them
IMG_0330.jpg

TILMAG MATRIX

The four attributes I chose for the shopping bag was "easy to pack/unpack items", "portable", "easy to hold", and "carries many different items"

IMG_0312.jpg

Here are the three product ideas I came up with from the TILMAG matrix:

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

TEN BEST IDEAS

1. Shopping cart with a scanner that checks out your items as you put them in the cart (week 4)
IMG_0313.jpg

2. Phone app that tells you the quality of a product (materials, background, child labor, etc.)
(week 4)
IMG_0314.jpg

3. Name tag or sign in the store that tells you the "stats" of each employee (length of employment, rankings, etc.) (week 4)
IMG_0320.jpg

4. Phone app that instantly tracks how much money is left in your bank account right after you buy something. (week 4)
IMG_0316.jpg

5. Custom scented wrapping paper with the recipient's favorite scent. (week 4)
IMG_0315.jpg

6. Shopping bag with pockets on the outside for phone, wallet, etc. (week 5)
IMG_0325.jpg

7. Shopping bag that folds down into a box for packaging and wrapping the gift. (week 5)
IMG_0318.JPG

8. Shopping bag with adjustable handle (week 5)
IMG_0327.jpg

9. Shopping bag with design of a fold-up take out box so items don't fall out (week 5)
IMG_0319.jpg

10. Shopping bag with cloth padding for easier carrying (week 5)
IMG_0317.JPG

Hi Chloe,

Good job with coming up with so many ideas for a shopping bag :)!
I have few suggestions or ways for improving so ideas maybe..

1st idea (shopping bag with cloth padding):
I would suggest designing a padding that can be attached to any bag! (Something like a cup sleeve). Because this would probably be a more functional product! Instead of adding a feature to a bag that would affect the cost of the paper/plastic/or even cloth bag! Think about designing a more sustainable product that would a) last longer b) cost less on the long run.

Shopping bag/purse idea:
This isn't really new. Target presented a bag with pockets. However, I see a potential in this! Maybe something similar to the comment above! Design portable pockets. Maybe it's a purse that can be attached to any shopping bag! Or a wallet that can be expanded and become pockets on the bag?

I hope these few comments help!
Good luck. I can't wait to see where this goes :)

Hey girl,

To start off, I'm sorry this is late: we got a flat tire on our trip home and were rather delayed getting back.

I think you did a great job of taking non-related items and adapting their features for your bags. The take-out box is one that especially impresses me.

As the other commenter said, some of these ideas were already covered in the Target trip, including adjustable straps and pockets. Continue to push boundaries and you'll be good.

Overall, good job and have a happy Thanksgiving!