As some as of probably already know, my winter theme is holiday gifts. For my structured idea generation, I chose an archetypal product that pretty much everyone needs to shop for their holiday gifts: a shopping bag. It already has a pretty simple structure, so it was hard to come up with creative ideas to make changes to it, but the SCAMPER method still worked pretty well!
Replace handle with padding to make it easier to hold
Combine the bag with a purse's function - pockets on the side for your phone, wallet, etc.
Copy the design of a take-out box with a fold-up lid so your items don't fall out
Make the handle bigger/adjustable for cross-body carrying
PUT TO OTHER USE:
Fold down into a box for packaging and wrapping the gift
Combine the handle and the bag, or use the same material for both
Make the bag material wrapping paper so it's used for wrapping presents, not buying them
The four attributes I chose for the shopping bag was "easy to pack/unpack items", "portable", "easy to hold", and "carries many different items"
Here are the three product ideas I came up with from the TILMAG matrix:
TEN BEST IDEAS
1. Shopping cart with a scanner that checks out your items as you put them in the cart (week 4)
2. Phone app that tells you the quality of a product (materials, background, child labor, etc.)
3. Name tag or sign in the store that tells you the "stats" of each employee (length of employment, rankings, etc.) (week 4)
4. Phone app that instantly tracks how much money is left in your bank account right after you buy something. (week 4)
5. Custom scented wrapping paper with the recipient's favorite scent. (week 4)
6. Shopping bag with pockets on the outside for phone, wallet, etc. (week 5)
7. Shopping bag that folds down into a box for packaging and wrapping the gift. (week 5)
8. Shopping bag with adjustable handle (week 5)
9. Shopping bag with design of a fold-up take out box so items don't fall out (week 5)
10. Shopping bag with cloth padding for easier carrying (week 5)