Assignment #6

Hello everyone, welcome back to my blog!

To recap, my top ten ideas from last week were:
1) A shopping cart that automatically scanned your items as you put them in the cart
2) A phone app that could scan products for a quality rating (materials, "green" status, use of child labor, etc.)
3) A phone app that automatically updated your bank account balance right after buying something, and alerted you of the new balance while shopping.
4) A reusable shopping bag with pockets on the outside for your phone, wallet, etc.
5) A removable comfy shopping bag handle wrap so your hands don't hurt over time
6) A reusable shopping with separate compartments for different items
7) Scented wrapping paper in different "flavors"
8) A shopping bag that folds down into a box for wrapping a gift
9) A reusable shopping bag with an adjustable handle
10) A reusable shopping bag that resembles a Chinese take out box

And now.... IS IT MARKETABLE?

I created a survey that I posted on my Facebook and conducted with people in person, too. It included all ten items, and asked if you would buy or rent that product, and if so, how much you would pay for it. A lot of people wrote other things in the survey, too, like suggestions for improvement or what would make them buy it. A total of 25 people had answered the survey when I started collecting the data. From there, I narrowed it down to my top five products.

1) The phone app that could scan products for a quality rating (materials, "green" status, use of child labor, etc.) - 80%
2) Scented wrapping paper in different "flavors" - 44%
3) The reusable shopping bag with an adjustable handle - 56%
4) The removable comfy shopping bag handle wrap so your hands don't hurt over time - 60%
5) The reusable shopping bag with pockets on the outside for your phone, wallet, etc. - 44% (but a lot of people said they would buy it if the pockets actually protected your stuff)

NOVEL

I took to the internet to see if these items already existed in some way, shape, or form.

1) The phone app that could scan products for a quality rating (materials, "green" status, use of child labor, etc.)

There are a ton of phone apps that use scanning technology, but I only found one app that does something similar to my product idea. It's called GoodGuide, and it's free in the Apple App Store. It's purpose is scanning products to see if they're safe, healthy, and environmentally friendly, so it has one of the components of my app idea. Here's the Apple Store's description and image:
Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 6.23.39 PM.png

Patent: Barcode Scanner
There was no specific patent for the purposes of the barcode scanner, but it's at least specific to phones.

2) Scented wrapping paper in different "flavors"

After a quick Google search, I found that this product already exists, although there is only one on the market, an artisan wrapping paper that comes in a variety of patterns and scents.

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 6.32.41 PM.png

However, all of these patterns are floral, which means that although the scents may have variety, there's a market for more pattern themes. Maybe that's where the winter theme could come in?

Patent: Pet Wrapping Paper
This patent is for flavored and scented paper that is used to attract animals. Seeing as my product idea is meant to attract humans, I shouldn't have an issue with the patent.

3) The reusable shopping bag with an adjustable handle

I found only a couple reusable bags that featured any kind of "adjustable" handle. The ones that I did find usually had very limited adjustability (ideally, my product would allow for cross-body carrying) or was more complex that I had intended.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 8.08.50 PM.png

Patent: Shopping Bag System
The only time this patent says anything about adjustable handles is when relating them to grocery bags, and that's not what my product idea is used for.

4) The removable comfy shopping bag handle wrap so your hands don't hurt over time

After trying different phrasing and websites, the only product I found that was similar was the luggage handle grips that are used mainly for luggage identification. However, the structure is pretty comparable to that of my handle wrap idea, so I just mapped out the state-of-the-art for the luggage grips.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 8.08.14 PM.png

Patent: Removable Grip for Shopping Bag Handles
This patent didn't really have a written description, but its image resembled a similar structure to my product idea, but without any comfortable material to protect one's hands, which was the aim of my idea.

5) The reusable shopping bag with pockets on the outside for your phone, wallet, etc.

The main issue a lot of people had with this product was the risk of the items in the pockets being stolen if they weren't secured properly, so I modified the product to include zippered exterior pockets. My internet search came up with a few bags that had pockets, but they either weren't very safe, or there was only one pocket, both of which are two main aspects of my design.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 8.08.38 PM.png

Patent: Reusable Foldable Environmental Protection Shopping Bag
This patent was directed mainly at an average foldable reusable shopping bag, but mentioned the use of an interior pocket, and my design didn't include any interior pockets to begin with.

FEASIBLE

1) The phone app that could scan products for a quality rating
My biggest concern is whether or not companies would be willing to release certain information to the consumers, like whether or not the product was made using child labor. Also, just collecting all of that information, especially for smaller companies, might be difficult.

I'm most concerned about how best to differentiate this product from the one that already exists, because I know that it's otherwise a feasible idea.

My main concern with this is that the price of the adjustable handle might make the overall product too expensive for consumers to want to purchase.

My main concern is how I'd design the wrap so it's easy to take on and off the bag's handle, especially if there are multiple bags being carried.

My main concern is designing the pockets so it's most helpful for the user. I want to make sure they know that pockets are meant for their own personal items, and I want to ensure that they'll be as safe as possible.

I loved when you referenced back to the ten ideas with description of each, it was informational to the readers.
Although I liked how you showed the percentage of "yeses" on each product, I would like to see the actual number, i thought it would contain more detain than percentage.
I also thought your feasible part of the essay was clear and was recorded with your own concerns to the product idea, but I felt it's better to include the estimated manufacturing cost, since it was also one of the requirements