Great Analysis

Abbie studies people; she analyzes them... wonders at and figures out their motives and modes of operation... she's pretty keen this way...

The other day she told me something about myself, or rather about an effect I had never noticed that I have on people. What she said:

1. made me feel really great about myself (which I haven't so much lately), and
  2. has really allowed me to have more confidence, trust myself more, in my interactions with people here.

Culture is a funny thing sometimes. I have felt quite a bit of alienation from people here in Minnesota, even though I really love the place far more than almost everywhere I've ever lived. Abbie helped me understand that people here are a lot more like people I've known on other journeys... they just don't show some things as much... or perhaps show them in different ways to which I'm less attuned.

Abbie's so smart. It blows me away sometimes. I have a lot to learn from her.

Posted by crock038 at 2:50 AM · How Intelligent is Abbie

Fast Multi-Tasker

So, let me tell you a story:
Abbie goes home. Talks to her roommate and stays up really late. Works on her presentation. Sleeps an hour. Goes to school. Tapes a lecture while studying a work by Stravinsky. Gives her presentation, which goes over swimmingly. And wins a new fan (the professor).

Good stuff, right.

Well, it's not over. She's back to the library. Gone to class. A quick dinner and Finale Summit. Then a three-hour rehearsal. Just in time to get home and do it all over again. Wow.

Abbie's a Fast Mulit-Tasker.

Posted by ethe0008 at 1:43 PM · General Greatness

The "Real" Deal

Abbie is a Real Person . . . that is refreshing. (Many people today are not real, which this seems especially prevalent among those in their 20s.) Here's one more reason why:

One day this week she found me in my office. She was a bit stressed out and needed to talk to someone. I was the lucky guy! So, after a quick sit at an outdoor table, we took a short, short walk. But she got things off her chest.

Here's the beautiful part: you can hear this Reality in her music! Her music grows so organically, like mounting stress, finds a way to resolve itself, like an eye wet with tears, and when she leaves your presence, you feel changed.

That's how great Abbie is.

Great.

- MjE

Posted by ethe0008 at 8:56 PM · General Greatness

wispy . . .

Have you seen her hair?! Wispy.

I think They Might Be Giants said it best. Excerpts from "Bangs" of the album Mink Car . . .

"Bangs
Above your eyes your hair hangs
Blow my mind your royal flyness I dig your bangs"

"Bangs
To drape across your forehead
To swing concordant angles as you incline your head"

"Bangs
Are like a pocket T-shirt
As casual as that while fully intentional"

"And although I like you anyway, check out your haircut!
A proscenium to stage a face that needs no makeup"

- MjE

Posted by ethe0008 at 11:50 AM

Random Hugger

Abbie gives random hugs. It's the most awesome thing ever. Sometimes exactly what you need is a random hug. Yet another reason that Abbie's great.

Posted by crock038 at 1:05 AM · How Sweet is Abbie

"How Great" websites . . .

#1

#2

#3

Posted by ethe0008 at 12:53 PM

Posted by ethe0008 at 12:51 PM

How Great is Abbie? (technical definition)

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

how,
an adverb primarily interrogative, used also in exclamations, and in conjunctive and relative constructions: cf. WHEN, WHERE, WHY.
I. In direct questions.
a. Qualifying a verb: In what way or manner? By what means?

great,
adj., Of things, actions, events: Of more than ordinary importance, weight, or distinction; important, weighty; distinguished, prominent; famous, renowned.

is,
v., sing. pres. indic. of vb. BE, q.v. Also used (cf. BE v. 10) in variants of the expression (a) __ is a __ is a __, on the model of Gertrude Stein's line (see quot. 1922).

Abbie

?

e.e. cummings (1894ó1962) says:
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight and never stop fighting.

Thatís Abbie . . . thatís how great she is.

Posted by ethe0008 at 9:38 PM · General Greatness

Sho Schmart!

Frankly, she's an intellectual powerhouse.

Posted by crock038 at 9:13 PM · How Intelligent is Abbie

Mellifluous Tones

Abbie's music is lyrically lovely, la la la!