Oral and written communication is a prime leadership skill. I will try to help you improve this skill via comments and suggestions on your written and oral work. I hope to help you make your messages clearer and more compelling. I’ll suggest pruning, more apt or vivid word choice, precise punctuation and grammar.
- Be clear and concise.
- Gear your message to your audience. Speak to your classmates as well as the instructor. You may have other audiences in mind, as well.
- Help the reader; don’t make him or her work too hard.
- Engage the reader through vivid language, story lines and road maps.
- Think of punctuation as a sheepdog herding words into sentences, phrases, clauses, and quotes.
- Think of grammar as the master’s commands that help keep meaning and timing straight, help us convey what fits with what, and where the action is.