Recently in Analysis Category

Analysis: numbers in stories

The news story I found was from CNN about the March Jobs report.

The reporter used numbers in a lot of ways. He used them to simply tell facts and as comparisons. He also used them to help explain points he was making.

Although there are a lot of numbers in the story, they aren't overwhelming. They are easy to understand and there is enough writing in the story to balance out the large amount of numbers.

It is not clear whether the reporter actually used math to figure out the numbers or if he simply got the statistics straight from a report. Either way, there are calculations throughout the story that help explain the angle more effectively.

As far as sources for the numbers go, it is not completely clear. It is possible that they are all from the report that was issued and from the people that were interviewed.

Overall, the story used numbers effectively to describe to someone who is not good with numbers (someone like myself) the job market situation.

Analysis: Obituary

The obituary I looked at was that of poet Ai.

The reporter used a number of sources. They contacted the head of the English department at the college where Ai taught, they used reviews people had written about her work in the past, past interviews with her, and even a poem she wrote.

It did have a standard obituary lead. It worked because it explained who she was and why her death was something that would have an affect on people.

It differs from a resume because there was emotion in it and more feeling behind the words. It did not simply say what she did, but how, why, when, etc. It was much more personable and emotional than a resume.

Overall, it was a very beautiful obituary about Ai.

Analysis: press releases

For this analysis, I found a press release in which President Obama proclaimed March Women's History Month. The news report I found that accompanied it did not have a lot of actual reporting but simply repeated what the press release said.

The beginning of the article talked about the fact that President Obama discussed it, when he did, and why.

The rest of the article simply stated, word for word, what the press release said.

Analysis: multimedia options

Kare 11 is one news organization I looked at. They feature a number of videos and pictures along with the news stories. This helps to personify and add life to the stories.

WCCO is another news organization I looked at. They also feature videos and pictures. These features really add spunk and makes the story more interesting. I felt more engaged as a reader when I had video and photos to look at. The story was more than just words.

The writing for these extra add-ons was simple. It was quick to the point and easy to understand.

Analysis: 50th and Bryant follow up stories

The lead in the first story was simply that there was a fire, where it was, if anyone was injured, and what they were doing to control it. It was just the hard facts. The lead in the updated story was the cause of the fire.

The main news in the first story is again, the straight facts. The first story was being written as the fire was taking place so it told immediately that two firefighters were injured and talking about how firefighters had to fight the fire from the outside. It also talked about the current condition of the fire.

The second story elaborated on what happened. It explained things, it gave witness accounts, and it gave quotes from people affected by the fire.

The second news story was simply a change from the original story.

Analysis: Structure with MSNBC Elementary School shooting story

The story starts out giving the most important and newsworthy information: what happened, when, and to who. The reporter also stated in the lead that it occurred after the students had been released which is good since that would be a pertinent question in many people's minds.

The reporter summarized the important events by simply answering the who, what, when, where, and why questions first before going more into detail and background information.

The way they ordered the information, by putting important story facts first and then going into background information, was very effective because you can skip reading the last bits of information and still get the story.

The only thing I wish the reporter would have done is reiterated earlier in the story that there were no students in the school. Personally, when I read the headline that there was a shooting at an elementary school, my thoughts immediately went to the children so knowing that none were injured would put me more at ease.

Analysis: Attribution in CNN power plant explosion story

In this story, the reporter has thus far included nine sources, naming all of them. For most the source's actual name has been used but others are left vague, such as 'police' or 'Middlesex Hospital'.

The sources are scattered throughout the story except for witness accounts. Witness stories are clumped together in the middle of the story.

Seven out of nine sources are from specific people while two, the police and Middlesex Hospital, are organizations.

The reporter paraphrased a lot of what the sources said and gave direct quotes for certain things. They did not just use the word 'said', they used the word 'told' as well. They also set up who the person was and their connection to the event in their attributions. This was effective because it made the sources more credible.

Overall, I thought that the attributions in this story were very effective.

Analysis: Leads in BBC Sudanese election story

The news elements present in the lead for this story are incorporating the news value of impact and conflict and answering the 'who', 'what', and even 'where' questions.

The lead is specific in the details of 'who' and 'where' but more general when it came to answering the 'what'. It was clear who the story involved and the titles they held and where the event was taking place but only gave a short, general description of what was going on. The reporter wrote the lead so the reader would have interest in the topic and would be intrigued to read the rest of the story.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Analysis category.

International News is the next category.