Harsha Bhogle: The Rise of Cricket, the Rise of India

Harsha Bhogle is known as "the voice of Indian cricket" because be is one of the country's most well known cricket commentator and columnist.  He writes a weekly cricket column for Indian Express and interviews top cricketers on ESPNStar's Harsha Unplugged.  He now applies lessons learned from cricket to the business world to help companies develop compelling business strategies.

Cricket and India go together like peanut butter and jelly.  Cricket is an easy game to play anywhere, due to its inexpensive tools and ease of game-play.  Cricket started getting big in India in the early 1990's, and they won the world championship in their first world cup.  Indian culture is not a nationally focused culture; cricket brought the company closer together as a nation due to its international success.

I love all types of sports, so this content was interesting to me.  I love seeing a sport bring a nation together as a whole, kind of like the 1980 Olympic hockey team.  It's interesting to note that India is not a very nationalistic culture.  This means that they all consider themselves parts of their individual states, rather than one whole country.  Cricket brought the country together after they won the world cup.  Again, I allude to the story of the United States and the 1980 Olympic hockey team; after we won the gold medal, we were closer than ever as a country.

His delivery is very good.  He uses correct hand gestures and emotions, and he also throws in a few witty jokes to entertain the crowd.  He spoke a little too fast for me to understand at some points and I found myself rewinding the video at certain points to review what he had just said.  He also skipped around from point to point and often referenced different aspects about cricket that I had not known.  I had to look up many of the terms and definitions he used for the game.

As I noted earlier, he speaks rather fast.  That is typical for an Indian speaker, and not typical for a western cultured speaker.  His accent got in the way at many different points throughout the speech.  Also, he skipped around in his story.  There was no beginning, middle, and end. There was a short beginning, a middle, a revision of the beginning, a tease of the end, a strengthening of the middle and finally a short conclusion.  It was very confusing to follow as a western cultured person.  I had to watch the video a total of about 3 times to fully understand the point he was trying to drive home.  Dan Pink's story was more compelling to me because I could connect with his story; Dan provides a great connection through humor and self-degrading jokes.  It was a little more difficult to feel Harsha's passion for the game because I do not know enough about cricket.  I would definitely recommend watching this video because it is interesting to see a different perspective on sports, even if it means having to watch the video more than once.