« Guest Lectures/Company Tours | Main | Sydney! »

Weekend Activities

Throughout the past five days, we've also had plenty of free time to do sightseeing and enjoy some of the wildlife that is unique to Australia. Two of the most memorable things we've gotten to experience so far on our journey have been our trip to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary yesterday and the trek that a few of us made to the Gold Cost at Surfer's Paradise Beach today. At Lone Pine, we got to play with and pet kangaroos, cuddle koalas, chat with parrots, and observe tazmanian devils, emus, etc. It was kind of surreal to be in an open area surrounded by kangaroos that were just hopping around as if they were in their natural habitat. It was really cool to see koala bears too! Although they are super cute, they have an interesting odor that most would consider unpleasant. A word of wisdom to anyone who visits Lone Pine: wearing white flip-flops is definitely a mistake... Today, a small group of us students decided to try our luck with Brisbane's transit system. We took an hour and a half long air train ride to a bus station where we jumped on one of those and successfully made it to the Gold Coast in less than two hours! Due to the recent rainstorms causing the riptides to be even stronger than normal, swimmers and surfers are temporarily unable to actually go into the ocean. But it was obvious after watching the water why they call it Surfer's Paradise; I have never seen such enormous waves in my entire life! I was hoping to have my first surfing experience, but I guess I'll have to keep that on my "Life To-Do" list for a little while longer.