myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

Two Truths and a Lie

MRBZ0268.JPGOne of the greatest joys of my job is meeting MBA candidates and getting to know you on a relatively personal level. I do not take lightly the fact that I get to learn about your personal and professional aspirations, what motivates you, your concerns yet excitement for the future, thoughts on leadership and why an MBA now. For many candidates I've met, these are topics hardly ever discussed even with their own family members. Because we see this as a privilege, as an admissions team at Carlson, we have the goal of providing you with opportunities of getting to know us as well as we know you. An introduction of our selves through our blog is one of way of meeting this goal. We hope this is valuable to you as, in many ways, we reflect the culture of the school we represent. If you haven't yet done so, I highly encourage you to read the previous introductory blog entries and watch for more to come from additional staff in the future.

So, as a start to my personal introduction, I offer you two truths and a lie:

1) I completed both my bachelor and master degrees at the University of Minnesota.

2) I've lived in Minneapolis my entire life.

3) I have an abnormal fear of birds.

Read on to uncover the truths about me.

Born and raised in Minnesota, I was proud to be a Gopher and completed my undergraduate degree in sociology from the College of Liberal Arts at the University Minnesota. As an extrovert by definition with a love for learning and who never shied away from speaking in front of groups, teaching as a career after college seemed like a natural fit. It was a bit of a shock when I found that, through my 9th grade civics teaching experience, the combination of me and teaching just didn't "click." I was fortunate enough at the time to have a good friend and mentor recommend to me a career in higher education instead and, thus, I ultimately (re)started my career path through the University of Minnesota's undergraduate admissions office. From there, my admissions career took off and led me to a small natural health science college in Portland, Oregon where I managed the recruiting and enrollment of their on-line certificate and diploma programs. After a few years in Portland, I returned to my roots in Minnesota in 2006 and have since then been working with the MBA programs at the Carlson School of Management.

As the director of admissions for our Full-Time and Part-Time MBA programs, I am deeply passionate about helping candidates find their paths towards academic and professional success. I have often related to candidates who struggled with the decision to "go back to school" and how to balance work and school and "regular" life as I also had the experience of completing my master's degree in education at the U of MN while working . . . . I should also mentioned I got married and purchased a new home while completing my master's degree. Thank goodness my daughter didn't come until a year later.

Admittedly, I am one of those people who tend to blur the lines between work and home so I won't describe these as my interests outside of work, but I also enjoy reading (just finished "The Lotus Eaters," by Tatjana Soli and about 15 pages into "Wired to Care," by Dev Patnaik), traveling and making Lego towers with my 3 year old daughter.

I hope this gives a glimpse into who I am. I also hope to learn more about you. So wherever you're at on your path, whether you're just starting to explore your graduate degree program options to being ready to submit your MBA application, I invite you to start a conversation with me. Feel free to e-mail me directly or post a comment below and I look forward to connecting with you.

| 6 Comments | tags: Admissions introduction staff bio

Lego towers! I use to build massive Lego mansions when I was a child. I've appreciated the attitude of Carlson admissions staff that admissions to an MBA program should be a 2-way street As a Business Development professional--the culture of an organization is constantly presented by the people I meet. Your, and Peter Woxland's blog post was the start of my first impression of Carlson culture--and it's a culture that has presented itself as more welcoming than the 5 schools I have reviewed!

hey Linh,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Bilal Aziz i am an Indian and have been born and brought up in Delhi.
i read your blog and suddenly realized...... yes!! these are the things we as students don't talk about to anyone and specially here in India its all about academics for the students.... parents and teachers barely discuss about our plans for the coming future, things what we would like to do and give to the world.
I have just finished my undergrad in business management and planning to join this company which is into food processing and exports. since this is just the beginning of my career and i am yet to accomplish so many things.. i still have to do my MBA but i guess getting enrolled in for the MBA is justified when i have worked enough and i know the reason for doing it. i was doing a lot research on various MBA schools and one of my aunts told me about carlson.. so i visited your website and it was great. My aunt is Assistant Professor of Medicne, university of minnesota. since i have shortlisted this school as one of my goals now, i would like to be in regular touch with you and letting you know about various milestones i achieve during the period and discuss other professional aspects.

David,

Thanks for the note and kind comments! Don't you think we'd all be just a little happier if we had more time to build lego towers and mansions?

I agree with your comment on how admissions to an MBA program is a 2-way street. In many ways, it seems quite obvious, but the book I'm currently reading, "Wired to Care," share the same sentiment - companies and organizatinos and business professionals do better when they connect with other people.

I hope we have the chance to meet you some time in the near future. Feel free to contact me directly any time at huyn0070@umn.edu. Good luck as you continue to research MBA programs and hope to receive an application from you whenever you're ready. :)

Linh

Bilal,

Thanks for your comments and introduction! Congrats on your recent graduation. Glad to hear you're already starting to think about your MBA, but you're right in that it is beneficial to gain some work experience before starting an MBA program. Your experience as an MBA student will be much richer and applicable when you have professional experiences you can relate to.

Since you're starting your career with a food processing company, I feel compelled to draw your attention to companies like General Mills, Cargill, Hormel, Land O'Lakes, Schwan and Malt-O-Meal - all companies located in Minnesota and ranked in the top 100 for food processing.

I wish you all the best as you start your career and please stay in touch with me. I look forward to hearing all about your experiences!

Linh