myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

Happy Thanksgiving

Tis the season to be thankful!

As the daughter of immigrant parents, I fully recognize that not all may be aware that Thanksgiving Day is tomorrow, Thursday, November 22 - a holiday of thanks that is generally recognized and celebrated in North America. I have learned, though, that many other countries and regions have similar celebrations and, though not part of my parents' upbringing, they adopted the holiday spirit into my and my siblings' lives as we were growing up in the United States. Only, instead of turkey, we might've had a large bowl of Pho (traditional Vietnamese soup) served at Thanksgiving dinner.

So, before our office is closed tomorrow and Friday in observance of Thanksgiving, I thought it appropriate to dedicate this blog entry to a version of "What I'm thankful for."

Truly, there are many things I can list, such as (I'll make this less personal and keep it somewhat related to my work):

1) The near 60 degrees weather in Minnesota while at the near end of November
2) A fantastic group of colleagues and program staff I get to work with daily who are so incredibly intelligent, dedicated to the students they serve and with the greatest sense of humor
3) For an amazing student body - many of whom have dedicated their personal time while back in their home town during the small holiday break to meet with prospective MBA students for coffee, lunch or dinner. We, hands down, have an incredible group of MBA students at Carlson.

But, at the risk of sounding cliché or maybe even soap-boxy, I am most thankful for the educational opportunities that exist here that many are privileged to have access to. As I mentioned, I am the daughter of immigrant parents who came to the United States from Vietnam. For them, success directly went hand in hand with taking advantage of educational opportunities presented to you, which unfortunately were not available to them in a country fraught with civil war. Coming to the United States, it was almost unbelievable to them how many options there were to advance their education and they made sure we wouldn't take them for granted. Thus, I am grateful for the opportunities that I have been presented with and for my parents' relentless pushing of me to do more (my mom was the ultimate Tiger Mom, by the way!) So now I also urge you, if you're reading this, I'm assuming it means you're thinking of taking that leap to advance your education and your career . . . . .do it! Don't let opportunities pass you by.

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Linh