myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

A Part-Time MBA's Saturday: Final Exams to Career Summit

It's hard to believe after wrapping up Marketing Management and Data Analysis & Statistics for Managers this week, I'm officially one-year into my MBA journey! There's no doubt it takes an adjustment to your work and personal lifestyle, but it has become very manageable and is now just part of my everyday routine. Despite having my Statistics final exam Saturday morning (and putting forth a very solid effort), I ventured across the way to the Carlson Career Summit, an all-day career conference designed specifically for part-time MBA students.

As working professionals, part-time MBA students sometimes miss out on the not-so-obvious, but equally as important opportunities that full-time MBA students take advantage of... things like fine tuning your personal brand, your LinkedIn profile, or even navigating a career promotion or change. This is where Carlson's Leadership Advisor Board (LAB) in partnership with Graduate Business Career Center (GBCC) stepped in...

Arriving only a few minutes late, I snuck into the Keynote speaker Margaret Smith, career coach and founder of UXL (not an acronym, but a play on letters, you-excel). Margaret shared with us her "10 Secrets to a Lasting Impression" and discussed several key things to know about yourself. Just to share a few of Margaret's key points: know the things that help you navigate speed bumps, identify your unique strategies and skill, and also know why people choose to seek you out.

Following the keynote speaker, breakout sessions continued throughout the morning/afternoon. Maggie Tomas with the GBCC shared with us how effectively marketing yourself is one of the most fundamental and important skills of the MBA job search. We also discussed how to "brand" yourself to future employers and how to effectively communicate your message through your LinkedIn profile. With other breakout sessions ranging from Creating an MBA Resume to Positioning Yourself for a Promotion to Changing Careers, there was truly something valuable for everyone to take away and put to immediate use.

We then wrapped the day up in true Minneapolis spirit (regardless of this spring snow!), with a great happy hour offering at the Town Hall Brewery where I was able to casually chat with several of the presenters and fellow part-time MBA's. Overall, I was very satisfied being a first time attendee to the Carlson Career Summit and would encourage everyone to attend next year! For other upcoming great events check out Carlson Events Calendar.