myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

First year in review, final summer preview

As I look back at my first year in the Carlson MBA program, I am amazed by the amount of growth I experienced both personally and professionally. So much has happened in such a short period of time. It seems like just yesterday I was looking around at over 100 strangers from all different backgrounds and geographies, none of us knowing what to expect of each other and all uncertain of what the next year would bring. Those strangers are now friends and those uncertainties are now certain. Through academic hardships and post academic happy hours we bonded and truly became a community. Nicknames were given, (some more appropriate than others) projects were completed, and internships were landed.

The year had its fair share of hard work, late nights, early mornings, and all around stress. My initial struggles were accompanied with new lessons and academic growth. Small successes began to build on one another and before I knew it I was developing new skills, broader competencies, and a level of confidence that I had never experienced before in my life. I didn't initially have a clear vision of what I wanted to do or where I wanted to be, but I was surrounded by amazing people and resources who were able to provide me with clarity. With the help of the Carlson Graduate Business Career Center, Admissions Office, and my classmates I was able to discover an industry that I am passionate about and obtain an internship at my top rated company within that industry. While this was the hardest I have ever worked, the last year has been the most rewarding year of my life to date.

The upcoming summer will be my last as a student and I plan on enjoying it to the fullest extent. While my primary focus is on my 12 week internship with Boston Scientific's Marketing Department in Maple Grove, my secondary focus is completing a "Summer To-Do List" that incorporates all of the most exciting, interesting, exotic, mysterious, and fun things the Twin Cities has to offer. I plan to keep a written and photo record of my time at Boston Scientific (reviewing what aspects of my MBA education have been helpful and what new skills I am developing) and my progress on the "Summer To-Do List" (keeping track of how, when, where, and occasionally why something on the list occurred along with video or photo evidence). I just finished up the best academic year of my life and I fully plan on making the summer that follows even better.

Written by Michael Robinson, Carlson MBA student, Class of 2014

| No Comments | tags: Carlson MBA Class of 2014 Full-Time MBA MBA Student Experience Student Life