myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

My background

After spending 5 years in consulting in residential energy efficiency, I learned that I had a passion for management and wanted to expand my horizons. I looked at a number of public and private schools nationally, and I decided on Carlson for three reasons. First, I loved the community feeling and was deeply impressed by the high level of individual support. With each class in the low hundreds, Carlson is a place where I can actually know - and be known by - my classmates, professors, and staff. Second, I knew that I would be able to get a lot out of the Enterprises. I had worked to develop a practice of self-reflection that I knew was an important driver in my learning, and I wanted to get a lot of grist for that mill. Finally, I wanted a program with a clear commitment to management in a global context, and Carlson's Global Discovery program fit the bill to a T.

After graduating from Carleton College, I managed political fundraising offices for the 2006 midterm elections before I began working as a consultant based in Washington, D.C. I worked on behalf of federal and state government agencies and power utilities in both advisory and implementation capacities. My team created packages of energy-efficient products and techniques that saved energy and carbon, then recruited builders and other market actors to adopt them. Along the way, we provided marketing and process consulting to both our government/utility clients and to industry, all with the goal of transforming the new home market to value energy efficiency.

I've enjoyed the many opportunities to explore my interests at Carlson, including serving as a First-Year Representative on the MBA Supply Chain and Operations Club's Board, leading a team of MBA and HRIR students on a Graduate Volunteer Consultants project, and participating in Net Impact discussions. I also joined with a group of other students to found a new student group dedicated to helping Carlson students connect with the outdoors and each other: the Outdoor Adventure Club (OAC). Finally, I was impressed by the initiative and engagement of my peers, and I wanted to do something to better enable and support them, so I decided to run for the MBA Association VP of Academic Affairs, which I now hold. In that role, I've been able to work on evolving Carlson's support for case competition participation and student peer mentoring. I'm looking forward to meeting and welcoming the Class of 2015 this Fall!