myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

The MBA: A new perspective on my job

My name is Joe Heinert, '12 MBA. Once I made the decision to get my MBA, The Carlson School was my choice because it offered a flexible part-time program, a personalized program that allowed me to choose my own courses, and world-class professors that would maximize my experience. It was also easy because my wife, Rosie Heinert ('11 MBA), was also in the program. Rosie started one year ahead of me, and her experience and recommendation of the program gave me confidence that it would be a great fit for me. While there, classes such as Pricing with Mark Bergen and the Ethics Seminar (study abroad) with Robert Strand left me knowing I had made the right decision.

When asked why I chose to get my MBA, it was never about my desire for a career change; it was about broadening my business knowledge and improving my leadership skills to further my career in Sales at General Mills. I loved what I did (and love what I do today), and my MBA gave me a new perspective with which to approach my job. Each role I've had since starting my program has become increasingly complex and cross-functional, and I cite my MBA as the reason I've been able to be successful in these roles as it built my foundation of cross-functional knowledge and leadership philosophy. I have no doubt that I will continue to be able to draw on these things no matter what role or endeavor I pursue in the future.

| No Comments | tags: Alumni Part-Time MBA Student Experience Student Life